SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

I'm a god! Ow wait... I suck

+6
Wasp
Shufuni
Rancidpunk
we_just_dinged_em
Vampir_Kifla
Boos B
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'm a god! Ow wait... I suck Empty I'm a god! Ow wait... I suck

Post  Boos B Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:12 pm

I know we all know this feeling. For several days, it was going so well, doing even 2k damage battles in a scout tank etc etc. I typically have 4-5 good days and 2-3 sucky days.

Then suddenly your gunner seems permanently drunk. That is the moment frustration kicks in, you want to do something, hit the enemy and actually damage it. What I noticed is, that at that moment, I stop thinking and start taking unnecessary risks (right, vampir and shufuni??). Just to get some damage done.

Now there probably is some correlation here:
1) I have a few bad matches (typically team fails or drunk gunners);
2) I get annoyed by missing too many shots;
3) I get destroyed too easy because brain stops.

And I see this with other people. This makes it a self fullfilling prophacy.

Now here is my question: how do you pro's actually turn this around? How do you switch the mindset?
Boos B
Boos B
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

I'm a god! Ow wait... I suck Empty Re: I'm a god! Ow wait... I suck

Post  Vampir_Kifla Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:41 pm

I feel ya mate. I'm having a 2 days (or 3, can't remember) losing streak. In the first few games I play well, but after several losses it gets to me and I play very badly. Especially when I know that there's a finnish killstealer waiting to finish me. Very Happy

But anyways, maybe it's the mentality before the match that gets you. Maybe we need to joke some more before the battle. You know, a good atmosphere helps right?

I know that my problem party lies in the fact that most of my tanks I double are either stock or crap (yes ARL I'm looking at you Evil or Very Mad ). Also I've noticed that mostly we get crap maps for different tanks (redshire I hate you!) like himmelsdorf for arty, redshire for slow heavies (5 arties ofc) etc.

And maybe we should wait the first 30 secs and then decide where to go cuz that way we can cover the holes our team leaves (remember that lorry that killed our arty on fjords and that cromwell on himmeldorf?)
I'm guessing better positioning will lead to more victories and more relaxed playing.
Vampir_Kifla
Vampir_Kifla
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Now you stopped playing the T21, you might find things improve!

I never appreciated how crap that tank was until I platooned with it!!!

Plus, always have 100% crew and a fully pimped tank. I don't play a vehicle until I can fully elite it.
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Before you try and solve the problem of losing streaks have a quick look at your stats on noobmeter for the last 1000 battles, if it's not going down all the time you don't need to fix what isn't broken.

I'm grinding a different account atm, I'm just getting out of that tier 4/5 purgatory before you can get your hands on real heavies (KV1 beast is the exception). Now I've got the T29, KV1S and Churchill VII my efficiency and damage are rocketing, not because of any greater skill on my part but simply because the tanks can inflict real damage even though my playstyle is the same.

If your efficiency is rising don't worry about your win rate, it'll go up eventually as long as you keep on aiming to get get in the top 5 of your team for damage caused in EVERY battle.
Don't go for the easy kills for example, if the one with less than 10% HP left is no threat to the overall tactic let someone else waste a shell to finish him while you go for the tanks with enough HP left so that your shell can still get max damage. I've had streaks of 25 losses, while it's annoying as hell to have a team of retards every time, the losing streak DOESN'T MATTER!

If you've inflicted 30000+ damage in those 25 games at tier 4/5/6 you've done your bit and apart from WR all your other stats should be on the up which is much better for you long term than having 25 walkover wins with all the damage shared evenly between you and your teams.

Once I lose the first 5 in a row I tend to switch to max damage mode when it looks like another team of halfwits or kids, even to the point of letting the lemmings get slaughtered while I take my time to do as much damage as possible before I die, amazing how many Steel Walls and Confederate badges you end up with too Smile

Had a losing streak in my M3 Light yesterday but this was the best I could manage and I got a Draw, finally not a loss!

I'm a god! Ow wait... I suck 945822_665220793495421_1404331743_n
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampir_Kifla Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Well Rancid, I honestly don't mind losing. But what I don't like is that you get crap XP & credits when you lose and that makes your grind longer. I also hate when we're up 11:7 only to lose 11:15. I think that if the best players in the match were rewarded properly, they wouldn't rage so much over defeats when they've done really good.
Vampir_Kifla
Vampir_Kifla
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Boos B Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Rancid, thanks for your feedback. The point I am trying to make is perhaps a little bit different. I see my stats rising over the last week and 60 days. Ergo, I should not be ashamed, right? But like Vampir: I want to play for daily fun.

It just seems that sometimes the Game wants you to lose. Ofc, it is supersticion. When I look at it when sitting back, I notice that I am increasing, until I get to a losing streak and get annoyed by many small things.

And there is as far as I can reason the true problem: I am getting annoyed and aggrevated, thus increasing adrenaline, thus reducing the ability to think straight. So my main question is: how do I get back in the relaxed zone?
Boos B
Boos B
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 pm

I will be glad when arty finally gets the same XP as tanks. The amount of times I've been halfway down the XP list even though I got 4 times the damage of everyone else is beyond silly.
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampir_Kifla Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:56 pm

montyburns1982 wrote:I will be glad when arty finally gets the same XP as tanks. The amount of times I've been halfway down the XP list even though I got 4 times the damage of everyone else is beyond silly.
Also take into account that you won't be firing at targets that are 3 or 4 tiers above you anymore. Shooting at the tanks mostly your tier will give you less XP and with the XP increase, it sums up to be mostly the same. Maybe a little bit higher.
Vampir_Kifla
Vampir_Kifla
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Shufuni Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 pm

Vampir has a point about waiting 30 secs to see how the rest of the team deploy, I do in randoms so why not as a platoon?

Last night was hard even platooning with you two stout fellows; I usually quit after 3/4 losses in randoms to keep my blood pressure normal however we did keep each other going and I noticed that Vampir still sounded cool and calm when we were yelling WTF? Very Happy

Maybe that's the key....

Shufuni
Shufuni

Back to top Go down

Post  Boos B Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah, but what is his secret? Maybe I should platoon with him and try to observe his secret Razz
Boos B
Boos B
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:39 pm

Boos B wrote:Rancid, thanks for your feedback. The point I am trying to make is perhaps a little bit different. I see my stats rising over the last week and 60 days. Ergo, I should not be ashamed, right? But like Vampir: I want to play for daily fun.

It just seems that sometimes the Game wants you to lose. Ofc, it is supersticion. When I look at it when sitting back, I notice that I am increasing, until I get to a losing streak and get annoyed by many small things.

And there is as far as I can reason the true problem: I am getting annoyed and aggrevated, thus increasing adrenaline, thus reducing the ability to think straight. So my main question is: how do I get back in the relaxed zone?

I've disabled chat and generally ignore the rest of the team's map clicks since 99.9999999999999999999% of the time it's some clueless wanker. That's helped a lot!

I'm not an illuminati tin hat wearer but if WG can give favourable MM for newly unlocked tanks then they must have a MM algorithm of some description running and I've come to accept that it's most likely an adapted online poker algorithm (hastily implemented in the early years of online gambling when it was discovered that truly random deck shuffling was too random to maximise customer retention and profit), so if I'm on the downswing I'll be back to normal again soon and then on the up.
The big difference being that WG can allow a greater +/- as this is a skill based game with no immediate financial profit or loss per game, some times you can win those 5% win chance games and generally you are going to be an over or an under 50% player due to your ability and not because of poor MM or drunk team mates on Friday night Smile
After 10000 games you'll begin to forget the MM and by 20k you'll accept that it's your turn to play with the monkeys on your side, so either take a break for a day or work through the misery!

Oh and I get through the stress by rolling fatter smokes!
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Vampir_Kifla wrote:
montyburns1982 wrote:I will be glad when arty finally gets the same XP as tanks. The amount of times I've been halfway down the XP list even though I got 4 times the damage of everyone else is beyond silly.
Also take into account that you won't be firing at targets that are 3 or 4 tiers above you anymore. Shooting at the tanks mostly your tier will give you less XP and with the XP increase, it sums up to be mostly the same. Maybe a little bit higher.

Whatever way you cut it, 5k dmg will give me over 1k exp. Currently that hardly ever happens.
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:44 pm

BTW, will be online again tonight trying to keep my blood pressure under control whilst carrying the rest of the team (with you fellows of course).

I noticed that even the usually calm Vallu had a couple of 'moments' last night whilst playing with me and Boosb. Although how much of that was RNG and how much of it was playing with two of the biggest trolls in the game remains to be seen! Very Happy
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Vampir_Kifla wrote:Well Rancid, I honestly don't mind losing. But what I don't like is that you get crap XP & credits when you lose and that makes your grind longer. I also hate when we're up 11:7 only to lose 11:15. I think that if the best players in the match were rewarded properly, they wouldn't rage so much over defeats when they've done really good.

It's the one thing I think War Thunder got right, don't make it so important to win and reward you for your skill instead but the WG team seem to be slow to catch on.
Win rate is way overrated by most, I just have to accept that some cretin with 5k games, 2k kills, low damage but "camps then caps" all the time and has a 53% win rate is always going to look a much better player according to WG stats than I ever will, WN7 rating is the important one for me Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:58 pm

montyburns1982 wrote:
Whatever way you cut it, 5k dmg will give me over 1k exp. Currently that hardly ever happens.

Unfortunately I have a horrible feeling that getting 5k damage in arty is not going to happen much after 8.6.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of people saying a tier 6 arty against only tier 6 opponents or lower makes it easier but I fail to see how. You won't get much xp for one shotting a KV1s in a GWPanther and good luck with slower loading and aiming while all those lower tier fast meds/lights are hunting you down.
I can even see it being a new hobby in my T80 to go and look for tier 6 arty and watch the mega xp and credits roll in, arty clubbing ftw! Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wasp Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:12 pm

If it is weekend and every noob is coming out again there is just one thing that helps.
Search for two other guys and platoon up. You will recognise that you can carry games with 3 good players and because of that you WR will go up.

You asked for my trick to stay calm?
I usually play with music playing in the backround which is quiet relaxing and stress absorbing for me Very Happy

I would disagree with you, Rancid, in the point that leave taking out a 10% target to teammates is a good idea.
Taking out guns is a crucial point in TCs and stuff and can also be applied to random battles.
One dead tank is one gun less shooting back.
And even if your teammates are the biggest noobs and stand in the open they can't get killed by a dead tank Very Happy
Wasp
Wasp
DEP. COMMANDER
DEP. COMMANDER

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Rancidpunk wrote:
montyburns1982 wrote:

Unfortunately I have a horrible feeling that getting 5k damage in arty is not going to happen much after 8.6.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of people saying a tier 6 arty against only tier 6 opponents or lower makes it easier but I fail to see how. You won't get much xp for one shotting a KV1s in a GWPanther and good luck with slower loading and aiming while all those lower tier fast meds/lights are hunting you down.
I can even see it being a new hobby in my T80 to go and look for tier 6 arty and watch the mega xp and credits roll in, arty clubbing ftw! Smile

El Halluf will still be a death trap for tanks after the patch, even with ROF and aim time nerf. I am still confident that I'll be able to stomp noobs after the patch once I've adapted, noobs will always be noobs (look at how many people sit in open field sniping).

of course the pro players will be a problem, and will make arty hunting a priority now its harder to fight back, but good players are rare in this game, so I'm not unduly worried Smile
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:46 pm

I posted 3 battle results on the Academy HQ chat yesteday. I hope someone made a screenshot. I think that these said it all on this subject...

Here is the summary: I logged in for 30 mins yesterday just to do my doubles. I did them solo.

First battle: Tiger II, mines. Result: 5 kills, 1000+ exp (2k with the double) and approx 3k dmg done. Nice I am a pro!

Second battle: VK 3002 db, Live oaks.Result 5 kills 900+ exp (1.8 k with the double) and approx 2k dmg done. Nice one too wow!

Third battle: Panther II, Widepark. Result 0 kills, 0! exp and 55 credits! ofc 0 dmg done!
King of Noobs!

The game's way of saying to me, ok I gave you 2 good games now go back to sleep!

And that's exactly what I did.

Last edited by Sapaki on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sapaki
Sapaki
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Wasp wrote:
I would disagree with you, Rancid, in the point that leave taking out a 10% target to teammates is a good idea.
Taking out guns is a crucial point in TCs and stuff and can also be applied to random battles.
One dead tank is one gun less shooting back.
And even if your teammates are the biggest noobs and stand in the open they can't get killed by a dead tank Very Happy

I meant leave it if there was another target already in sight and it was more of a danger, let arty or lower tiers deal with the 10% but not if it means one of your team dying of course, even the biggest noob can get lucky if he's alive to try Smile

An exception might be the KV1S I let live at 5% while he finished off our 2 afk/bot/campers then I shot him for a win Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Quality trolling Rancid, hats off to you sir Smile
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  Shufuni Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Boos B wrote:Yeah, but what is his secret? Maybe I should platoon with him and try to observe his secret Razz

Maybe Vampir has something under the table that we cannot see.........just sayin' Embarassed
Shufuni
Shufuni

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorritakid Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:16 am

I simpathize with you Boosb. I just kinda realized I've played exactly one battle during the last week, and as days go by I feel less and less like firing up wot instead of playing whatever else..

Frustration seems to have built up to that point lately. Although I know most of the good advice given in the thread is correct intellectually that doesn't change the gut feeling of "fuck this" when you feel you are actually playing quite well yet you have several <40% wr days..

I actually think I stopped improving long ago and started getting worse as time goes by, and it's that feeling that makes me want to log less and less..

Ah well, maybe I'll try again this evening, we'll see.

Gorritakid

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 am

Now where was that pic I saw some time ago...

I'm a god! Ow wait... I suck Keep-calm-and-load-gold

montyburns1982 wrote:
I noticed that even the usually calm Vallu had a couple of 'moments' last night whilst playing with me and Boosb. Although how much of that was RNG and how much of it was playing with two of the biggest trolls in the game remains to be seen! Very Happy

I should have really apologized for that, I was really tired yesterday and that's when I get grumpy, and it was otherwise a bad day for already (why it had to start raining just when we got to the racetrack, why?). Then before I started playing with you guys I had few games with my T34. Enemy T29 with 301hp facehugging me, I shoot his cupola, 0dmg. He bounces and backs off.

Now, T34's gun does 300-500dmg. Enemy has 301hp. I shoot, penetrate and do damage. T29, 1hp left. That kind of set the tone for the evening.

How do I (try to) stay calm. I wasn't kidding when I posted that pic. Just sometimes going to troll in a HEAT KV-1 or S-51/Obj212 with gold can help.
Play with great players, so they can help you carry the team.
Alternatively play with rage/complain constantly (in a funny way), then you can see someone has it worse. Lazy was great for this.
I will let you decide which group you belong to. Wink

Concentrate, this works for me. When I get really pissed off. I just shut up and ignore everything that is not related to the game. Don't talk unless it's necessary (kinda like TC), and if someone talks in TS about something else than the game, don't "process" it. You will play better. Once you get back into good rhythm you can continue the TS chatter again. At least this helps me.

If you find sarcasm funny like I do, use it. Always when you want to complain about something, do it in a sarcastic way. "That Maus has so OP camo value, can't even see him shooting me while he's driving through the open field on Malinovka" instead of "Fucking spotting system, WG should fucking fix this shit this fucking maus just fucking driving andfuckingshootingme!!!!!!"

Oh and most importantly, killstealing. That always helps.
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:30 am

lol Vallu, if it's random raging you want, you got it. I try to keep my rants to platoon chat these days, don't want another 7 day ban Smile
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampir_Kifla Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:56 am

Shufuni wrote:
Boos B wrote:Yeah, but what is his secret? Maybe I should platoon with him and try to observe his secret Razz

Maybe Vampir has something under the table that we cannot see.........just sayin' Embarassed
Khm, khm, maybe... Very Happy
And I always drink some fresh blood before playing buahahaha Twisted Evil

Jokes aside, I mostly rage hard when I'm playing alone. But when I toon with you guys, it's much more bearable, it's like we share the pain and frustration and that's a good thing. Gotta always have a positive attitude.

Oh and like Vallu said, teamkilling & killstealing help Laughing
Vampir_Kifla
Vampir_Kifla
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next