SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Rancidpunk

3 posters

Go down

Rancidpunk Empty Rancidpunk

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 am

Hi everyone, just saw the post on the WoT forum and thought it was a brilliant idea so here I am offering whatever I can bring to the game.

I'm coming up on 20000 battles now and I wish I'd found something like this after 200!

I didn't even find my stats until 8000 battles in and said "f*** I'm awful!" so I've been using all the stats and guides I can to find out where I need to improve but it's a long slow process building up from a low 47% winrate and crap efficiency when you've already played so many games Sad
I uninstalled XVM after a couple of hundred battles as trying to nurse all my red team mates as they showed me how they got such truly awful stats distracted me too much and made bugger all difference apart from me not getting any damage in but now I would like to help those that want to learn in the hope that the game itself could be helped in the long run if we all help the people who are going to stick at it long term!
I really do think that in some games just one player can win the battle and if any of you have played with or against some of the top players when they platoon in randoms you know that a good platoon can roll over a whole team in the blink of an eye.

Oddly I love slow heavies, E100, Maus, Churchill III, Tog II and KV5 are my favourites, maybe T150, Tiger, and Tiger 2 if I had more time to have any more favourites while I'm grinding British/Chinese lines.

I hated the French auto loaders but for some reason I love the T71.

I'm crap at high tier mediums and I didn't keep the mid tier meds long enough to master them tbh, and although my stats say I played the IS8 a lot I didn't, it was the tier 9 IS4 that I learnt the game in and I'd love to have it back but because I learn't so much in that heavy I played the mediums too much like heavies so just sold them!
I was most successful in my E50 when I accidentally selected my E75 and drove it like the E50 and I just never really saw the point of mediums above tier 8 anyway. Although I am having fun in my T44 atm since I got rid of the dumb ass long reload heavy gun from it, the pointlessness of having to drive round in a medium avoiding enemy fire for a 20 second reload instead of just driving a heavy still confuses me Shocked Want to drive tier 9 and 10? Get a heavy lol!

Other than that I play arty a lot, GWPanther is a keeper and maybe the Lor 155 51 if the tier 8 French arty isn't amazing, I'll find out in 20000 xp!
GWTiger and M40/M43 are better than I expected and I'm enjoying the grind upwards.

I've sold my standard Russian heavies since I think they are crap but my IS4 crew is amazing in the KV5 anyway so bonus there!

Other than that I'm just charging about in my Chi Ha, T-34 and Type 58 having a laugh and watching my WoT Global Rating plummet as an added bonus for not playing 50 games a day in my E100, worst stat ever that GR Rolling Eyes

Other than all that I hope to join you guys and see what pearls I can add with my love for big big tanks, cheers all, Rancid

Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Rancidpunk Empty Re: Rancidpunk

Post  Ding760 Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:46 am

Hey Rancid! Cool to see you here after the forums and welcome!

I'm sure with a guy like you we'll be flying in no time Smile

Also, the dude is an ex-Navy man. So if anyone wants a free arse-whopping then do piss him off *hides*

Lol take care mate, hope to see you in SGTA soon Smile
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:57 am

Lorraine 155 50 is better for its tier than lorraine 155 51 in my opinion.
Batchat 155 is good with its very good accuracy, but honestly speaking, its extremely team dependant as the autoloader makes you risk shots more, and if your allies cannot keep the enemy at bay for the 65 sec you're loading, then well... you can't do much.

Maus is by far my favourite tier X heavy, but sadly, prem shells kind of ruin it nowadays.

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelToedSneakers Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi Rancid (is your nick based on the band?).

I have just fallen in love with heavies. Bought the T1 Heavy a couple of days ago, and it's now my 3rd used tank. (I have only 1200ish games, so it's not hard to reach 3rd though.) Going to keep playing the T1 until I have unlocked everything on the next one up, and then switch, etc. Or I might go for the Soviet heavies.

Anyway, anybody who can help me become feared when I'm in a HT I will welcome with open arms! Very Happy Laughing
SteelToedSneakers
SteelToedSneakers

http://www.kittelsaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Gerenal advice when using T1, is that T1 having a massive hull but not well armored (compared to churchill and kv) so use its 10 degrees of gun depression and use terrain to your advantage. A T10 with its main hull exposed is a vulnerable T1. US tanks as a general tendancy are superior on hilly terrain than their counterparts, with the exception of some british.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Kawashiro wrote:Lorraine 155 50 is better for its tier than lorraine 155 51 in my opinion.
Batchat 155 is good with its very good accuracy, but honestly speaking, its extremely team dependant as the autoloader makes you risk shots more, and if your allies cannot keep the enemy at bay for the 65 sec you're loading, then well... you can't do much.

Maus is by far my favourite tier X heavy, but sadly, prem shells kind of ruin it nowadays.

I really loved the 155 50 so if I don't like the Batchat I'll probably go back to the tier 6 and keep it alongside my GWPanther.

The Maus was the last heavy I ground, wish it was earlier (or the amazing TOGII was on sale earlier to let me learn slow and HUGE Smile
I really haven't found a big problem with gold ammo in the game tbh except that every time I use the bloody stuff (fully zoomed/aimed in etc.) it's so utterly crap that I might as well get out and throw rocks at them.
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 pm

If you constantly drive mice, you'd notice when you angle to absorb fire for allies, that they pen regardless of your angle.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 pm

SteelToedSneakers wrote:Hi Rancid (is your nick based on the band?).

I have just fallen in love with heavies. Bought the T1 Heavy a couple of days ago, and it's now my 3rd used tank. (I have only 1200ish games, so it's not hard to reach 3rd though.) Going to keep playing the T1 until I have unlocked everything on the next one up, and then switch, etc. Or I might go for the Soviet heavies.

Anyway, anybody who can help me become feared when I'm in a HT I will welcome with open arms! Very Happy Laughing

Indeed it is, nothing like a bit of Rancid blasting out while shooting things online Smile Got married to the sound of the Dropkick Murphys too!

Funny enough I've just got a T1 on my wife's account and after 2 crap games in it I suddenly remembered to hide all of the hull and use the fast gun to tear them to shreds! Keep grinding and you'll love the T29 upwards, I think the T32 is a close second to the King Tiger as the best tier 8 heavy (I know, blah, blah IS3 lol!) and the M103 the best tier 9 (and again, blah, blah IS8).
I personally found the M6 to not be worth doing any more in it than necessary.

Nice to hear you like the HT's Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 pm

Kawashiro wrote:If you constantly drive mice, you'd notice when you angle to absorb fire for allies, that they pen regardless of your angle.

Playing in randoms I'm lucky if I get any back up in the Maus so 9 times out of 10 it's just me looking out for me and I get plenty of room to move since they all bugger off to the opposite side of the map. Although that can be ok if arty covers me, some of my most fun games have been on my own in that big beastie Smile

I have to admit I'm guilty of being a bit too aggressive in the E100/Maus so I'm usually close enough to the enemy to not be able to tell who is hitting me with what but both big Germans always seem to bounce a lot more at less than 50m so that's where I tend to be!

Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Long distances decrease the effective armor of the lower plate due to angles, so that's understandable. However, at close range, the Maus turret is highly vulnerable on the cheeks, and the E-100 rangefinderbar.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Kawashiro wrote:Long distances decrease the effective armor of the lower plate due to angles, so that's understandable. However, at close range, the Maus turret is highly vulnerable on the cheeks, and the E-100 rangefinderbar.

I'm glad I wasn't imagining it! I still swear I hit a Maus lp perfectly at point blank range just before he pushed me off a cliff in Dragon Ridge (while he shot a T54 behind him, show off!)
That incident made me finally give up on the tier 10 IS4, heavy assault tank my arse!
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelToedSneakers Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 am

Rancidpunk wrote:
SteelToedSneakers wrote:Hi Rancid (is your nick based on the band?).

Indeed it is, nothing like a bit of Rancid blasting out while shooting things online Smile Got married to the sound of the Dropkick Murphys too!

We have the same taste in music. I like you already! Actually, I'm a referee in roller derby, and my "derby name" is Dropkick. My in-game name here is a song by The Humpers. "What do we have? Steel Toed Sneakers. What do we do. Kick the shit out of you." What a Face

I grew up with parents who listen to nothing but classical music, so when I found punk at the age of 12 I rebelled. Had a high mohawk (green), safety pin in my ear, leather jacket, you know the drill. Ah, the 80's! When I die, you can sprinkle my ashes over the 80's!
SteelToedSneakers
SteelToedSneakers

http://www.kittelsaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 am

IS-4 is not really good in my opinion. While the turret is very good, its hull is quite bad, it's like a maus you cannot angle. The gun is supposed to be the long range alternative for the soviet tanks, but at 0.38 with bad aimtime, any other nation tanks except IS-7 does better to be honest.
Also at such close ranges, you should go for the turret, not the lower plate. The Maus is particularly weak at the turret cheeks when its looking directly at you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:22 am

It was the only shot I could take, I was tracked and looking up at him, couldn't see his turret at all!

I loved the tier 9 IS4 so much!
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:38 am

At that situation though, you should've tracked the Maus and tried to drive into its side. It doesn't have enough gun depression to effectively hit you there.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:22 am

He knew he had me since I was getting tracked again and again by a sniper and I only had a T54 in support. Got to give the guy his credit, he calmly pushed me over the cliff, killed the T54 and rolled on by Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum