SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

how to cope with abuse and other WOT frustrations.

+7
nilzatron
RoninRage
Ding760
HowTheStoryEnds
BehemothNL
Lemmingtrain
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
11 posters

Go down

how to cope with abuse and other WOT frustrations. Empty how to cope with abuse and other WOT frustrations.

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:23 am

Hello. I seek some insight and advice on the gameplay and social aspects of WOT.

Firstly I have come across alot of abuse in this game ( mostly towards others but also towards myself) and wonder why that happens. I have played many online games and have never seen so much abuse in a game. The word noob gets used alot. Ive been called a dirty jew ( im not jewish funnily enough but I guess my name might lead that presumption) So why is the player base so abusive?? and how can we deal with such things?

Secondly. I have had a good head start in WOT with alot of practise at low tiers on a friends account .. this said I am now moving up the tiers ( tier 6 currently) And have noticed 1 constant in the game. Many players simply have no awareness. I can understand if people find it difficult to control the tanks and to aim at the right place or to know when to attack or when to sit back. What I cannot understand is players who see the red bar going up ( when enemy is capping) and do nothing. Literally they dont move.. or they carry on to the enemy cap in some silly attempt to win..

I probably come across as arrogant here.. believe me I know I have much to learn but I cant help feel that some people are just not suited to this game. I guess they must just enjoy driving the tanks around and firing the gun. How can I encourage other players to act in a more profitable way during the battle? How can I optimize my observations in game to be able to forsee such events and act upon them.

I am very much a competitor. I play to win and I wish to see all players in my team have success.. so much so that I often take shells to keep others in the fight even if it is not likely to be a deciding factor in the outcome of the battle. Perhaps I am fighting a losing battle expecting the majority to do the same for me?

I am a little frustrated. rant over .Mad

edit*** my avatar aptly depicts my face as I lose a battle where we have 9 tanks and the enemy has only 2.
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

how to cope with abuse and other WOT frustrations. Empty Re: how to cope with abuse and other WOT frustrations.

Post  Lemmingtrain Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:29 am

If you remember that 50% of the population is below average intelligence it makes things more understandable/bearable Smile 
Lemmingtrain
Lemmingtrain

Back to top Go down

how to cope with abuse and other WOT frustrations. Empty Re: how to cope with abuse and other WOT frustrations.

Post  BehemothNL Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am

Have you played Legue of Legends?
People there are way more abusive than in Wot. Luckely I quit out on that one.
And the famous Xbox live that have already done everything with your mother.
Every online game has abusive players.
1/30 players in a game is abusive, and that happens every 5 games or so.
1 out of 150 is not a very bad average I think.

Just shrug it off and don't mind the chat trying to get under your skin.
Just laugh at the ignorance of some players calling you a gold noob or something like it.
And of course you can yell and curse on ts with friends, much better than going at it in the game Very Happy
BehemothNL
BehemothNL
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

https://www.youtube.com/user/sNiPeReLiTeNL

Back to top Go down

Post  HowTheStoryEnds Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 am

just install xvm so you can reply to abusers with their factual stats, that tends to shut them up rather quickly. Same as when one guy is insulting several people in the team from the start, just say "want me to tell you your color in XVM?" tends to do wonders since invariably the ones doing the insulting are the deepest red around and they run XVM as well so they're aware of that fact.

I also cuss a lot at my screen but try, I really do honestly, to limit typing anything out in chat. When I do it generally means time for a real life game timeout. :-)
HowTheStoryEnds
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:47 am

For me it's quite simple... when people get abusive, one of a few things happens:

1) They just got owned by you and is trying to maintain some shred of their pride by abusing you.
2) They just died in such a silly way they cannot bear accepting it themselves and tries to push it to others.
3) They felt like trolling someone, in which case that person has very little things to do in life.

As regards to bad players who looks at cap bar go up... I believe they are simply casual gamers or very young players who either doesn't care or doesn't understand that the cap bar going to 100 leads to defeat. It is the only explanation for such a large chunk of zombies.
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:53 am

HowTheStoryEnds wrote:just install xvm so you can reply to abusers with their factual stats, that tends to shut them up rather quickly. Same as when one guy is insulting several people in the team from the start, just say "want me to tell you your color in XVM?" tends to do wonders since invariably the ones doing the insulting are the deepest red around and they run XVM as well so they're aware of that fact.

I also cuss a lot at my screen but try, I really do honestly, to limit typing anything out in chat. When I do it generally means time for a real life game timeout. :-)

I have dl XVM and some other mods to play around with. not installed yet but will do so. Ive seen many posts on the WOT forum regarding this XVM mod. I have formed the opinion that it is a tool and as such I will investigate it and see if it has potential to increase by ability to splurge my man fat all over the enemy forces.

what did I just say:shock: 
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemmingtrain Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:01 am

XVM installation can be a bit tricky but this app makes things a lot easier:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/196435-xvm-updater-23-one-click-installupdate/

You will also need to download Dokan Library http://dokan-dev.net/wp-content/uploads/DokanInstall_0.6.0.exe

(Download/install/reboot)

A helpful manual installation guide is here:  http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/137736-xvm-installation-with-pictures/

I find it a useful app to help identify who to help/trust/ignore/troll Twisted Evil 
Lemmingtrain
Lemmingtrain

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:16 am

thank you.
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

Post  RoninRage Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:17 am

Hi! Fully understand this points because we all stumble upon them from time to time in WoT i think.
At 1:)
There i think are only 2 or possibly 3 things to do:
-- Keep Calm and carry on. So just ignore those players. I think that's even easier in Wot than some other online games. Because a team of 30 is quite large.
-- If it gets to close personal or rassism comes into play or stuff like that send the replay to the support.I know it might not help because the player does not get warned or banned or stuff like that but it helps me to think I did something.
-- Disable the ingame chat. Which i think is a bad choice because it disturbes the gameplay not only in TC/Platoon's but also sometimes there are good guys in randoms which try to support. Rarly but they are also out. At least i try sometimes with latest spotting positions, health of enemy and or just to say thank you. In example had a game this evening in the M8a1 where the arty safed my ass 3 times and hold a whole flank with me together against 5 enemies ending in killing them which won us the game for sure I wrote a short line to thank him.

At 2:
Well that is a difficult point because many players in this game don't speak english so it might even not help to support them with hints/tipps and so on. What I do is and this is the reason for me to have XVM is to see the stats of players to see if it is necessary to support some where or how reliable a player might be. So that i can try to support on the right places. Also my playstyle is influenced by it in the way that i say well not many good players play more concentrated/defensive/smarter/ focus on trying to kill the enemies best players and so on. I know many people hate XVM because it's some sorte of advantage when used in that way and not for whining about "shitty mm", killing them self because no chance and that stuff but as consumables, gold shells (no not spamming but on the right target and time used it can save the game) and so on they are allowed and why not use them to get an advantage?

I always see this as a challenge the low winrate ones are the battles you can shine. I like the feeling of taking an important part in a battle with a 5, 25, 30 or 40 % xvm win prediction which the team i was in won or also if it is lost if I did the best I can do i am ok with it.

Just some things on my mind on that points.

P.S.: some guys where faster with the XVM stuff.

Greetz
Ronin
RoninRage
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 am

It does get to me at times. I either ignore them, or when I absolutely have to say something, I try to ridicule them. Sends them into a rage, yet amuses me.

Any racial remarks actually give me a handle to report them. Few screenshots to support and they will have their first ban on their hands. They'll either learn or will have to suffer harshed bans in quick succession.
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Boos B Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:51 pm

ah, the art of kind trolling. There are so many levels of trolling.
1) Talk dirty to them
2) Polite trolling
3) insulting
4) harasment

You can also mix them, but I recommend a mix of the first 2 for the best and most satisfactory effect. Personally I am more of the 2nd category, where Dong760 is the best in category 1. Countering with trolling works really well in silencing the flamers. Typically they will put you on ignore and all will be quiet once more.
Boos B
Boos B
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Agreed, I generally find trolling along with a 1800 dmg AP shell to the face helps silence most critics.

I oneshot a PTS player in his Centurion the other night and after reading some of his ranting I said 'your unicum tears are delicious' in game chat.

I can't repeat what he said back as it's not polite...but it was fun! Smile
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Niflhel Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:02 pm

The reason why there's so much abuse in this game is quite simple, really. It's always easier to blame others than to recognize ones own failures. A good player, and I'm not talking about stats here, will first ask himself what he could have done differently, and thereby learn from his mistakes. A bad player will just insult his team, or the enemies for that matter.

Normally I just ignore abuse in game, unless it's particularly offensive, in which case I report it. If an enemy calls me a noob, I usually take it as a compliment, as it most likely means I outplayed him. If a player with bad stats starts insulting my entire team, I might shut him up by linking his stats in chat.

As for players lack of awareness during a battle, I normally do what I can to help them. I'll point it out if my team chooses a bad strategy, I'll give suggestions on how to improve our chance of winning and I'll use the minimap to ping anything that needs to be dealt with.
Another thing I like doing is staying in the battle after I've been killed. It's a great way to improve yourself as a player, and you can continue being an asset to your team by giving tactical advices and actively using the minimap.
Most people will ignore whatever I'm saying, though, but occasionally it pays off.
Niflhel
Niflhel

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:45 am

I now have XVM running ( it seems to cause slight lag on occasion is this normal?) I am unsure how valid the scores system is and I dont fully understand all the factors. Many things that are not included in the calculations are key to success. Like when you put your tank in front of an ally who is 15% health and take the shot so they live.. this is not factored into XVM calculations. Many other factors seem to be neglected.

I have been able to use the XVM to change the outcome of a game ( or I hope I have) I noted a player who was all dark red other than the battle count and he was the lead tank on that flank ( himmelsdorf curved road on the 8 vertical) So instead of taking the other flank (  I was the other lead tank) I went and lead him with map pings and requests for fire on target. seeing the mass of enemy on that flank I decided to just defend it and with his fire support and by shielding his tank with mine ( ive been learning the sidescrape method using kv1s.. putting rear of tank to the wall and drive out an an angle) managed to hold off 4 tanks while or allies flanked the hill and the railway track.

I know for sure that had he been alone he would have crumbled very fast and knowing that a green player might have held his own long enough for me to flank I can assume that XVM has aided me in this victory.

good mod despite its flaws. SmileSmileSmile
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

Post  RoninRage Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:14 am

XVM score system is based on the same data noobmeter or planetwot uses and is updated daily most of the times.

But what it can't calculate is if the player sees that your taking the shot for him or just shoots you in the back by accident (Shielding works best in platoons or TC's)  Or even human factors like shitty day for a player with good stats or the deepest red player can have an awesome day. But in my opinion it helps.

The lag issue is strange i don't have it... some guys in forums say that it helped to take a reduced xvm config.

another tip:
Also very usefull when in the platoon window and you keep the mouse over the tank you or your platoon mate selected a popup appears displaying the battle tiers for this tank to see if it is configured.

Ah yes xvm configuration: (an online editor for the xvm configuration to change loads of things in it)
On that page is a forum included to get some tips with the configuration
RoninRage
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  MadFelineHoarder Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:24 am

First of all, you sound like the type of player I would love to have on my team. I'm not a great player, as you are, so I'm very dependent on a good team to play well, and I just love those rare moments when you accidentally click with a stranger in randoms, and the two of you carries the team to a victory.

On to the chat rage... This is my first online game since I'm a bit of a loner and prefers to stay away from people, and it was a huge shock in the beginning. Now though, I couldn't care less (unless I'm very disappointed with my own performance, and someone mocks me for it - it's hard to not say anything back then since the truth hurts). I get called noob and idiot (and bitch and so on) from time to time, but I try to ignore it. I've discovered that it's usually worse player than me that are insulting me. I never rage in chat, not even if my team are complete morons, since I care more about my own performance than theirs. I have discovered this after tooning with some of the good players here; I prefer loosing but having played well, in front of winning but having done nothing. So winning is the second most important thing to me. Smile

I have downloaded xvm, but I haven't installed it yet since I'm not good enough to make use of the information it provides.

At the moment though, I'm staying away from the regular WoT, and am playing around at the test server instead.  Very Happy
MadFelineHoarder
MadFelineHoarder

Back to top Go down

Post  HowTheStoryEnds Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:31 am

May I enquire as to why? what does test server being you that regular one doesn't?
HowTheStoryEnds
HowTheStoryEnds
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  RoninRage Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:23 am

The chat rage is not readable because it's russian lol! 
RoninRage
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:54 pm

MadFelineHoarder wrote:First of all, you sound like the type of player I would love to have on my team. I'm not a great player, as you are, so I'm very dependent on a good team to play well, and I just love those rare moments when you accidentally click with a stranger in randoms, and the two of you carries the team to a victory.

On to the chat rage... This is my first online game since I'm a bit of a loner and prefers to stay away from people, and it was a huge shock in the beginning. Now though, I couldn't care less (unless I'm very disappointed with my own performance, and someone mocks me for it - it's hard to not say anything back then since the truth hurts). I get called noob and idiot (and bitch and so on) from time to time, but I try to ignore it. I've discovered that it's usually worse player than me that are insulting me. I never rage in chat, not even if my team are complete morons, since I care more about my own performance than theirs. I have discovered this after tooning with some of the good players here; I prefer loosing but having played well, in front of winning but having done nothing. So winning is the second most important thing to me. Smile

I have downloaded xvm, but I haven't installed it yet since I'm not good enough to make use of the information it provides.

At the moment though, I'm staying away from the regular WoT, and am playing around at the test server instead.  Very Happy

we shall platoon at some point in the not so distant future.Very Happy 
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

Post  MadFelineHoarder Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:23 pm

HowTheStoryEnds wrote:May I enquire as to why? what does test server being you that regular one doesn't?
It's the tempo... I can't handle the speed at the lower tiers at the moment, and I care too much about my performance with my babies to put them through the abuse I did before going AFK. I just drove like a total pancake and got angry with myself, so I thought it better to stay away until vacation starts and I get to rest for a bit. Then it's back to the grind, but hopefully I won't be as tired and can focus properly. Smile 

Arnold_Judas_Rimmer wrote:we shall platoon at some point in the not so distant future.Very Happy 
Yay! Very Happy
MadFelineHoarder
MadFelineHoarder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down