SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Suggestion - buddyprogram?

+9
blackchamber
nilzatron
Vallu01
IronClaw
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
RoninRage
glooscap
Sapaki
Brainfarter
13 posters

Go down

Suggestion - buddyprogram? Empty Suggestion - buddyprogram?

Post  Brainfarter Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 pm

I do not know if this has been considered or suggested before but here are my thoughts:

Some (new as older) do not have a sufficient network within the clan.
If someone would offer themselves as buddies for platooning, ts-introductions to newcomers, more platooning and general point of contact in the first time in clan, it might help the newcomer to become more active and be an active part in clan.

I know we generally would like us ALL to be that welcome to newcomers in clan, but the thing is that the platooning and the daily chores sometimes makes it hard to keep a view of who is new and who could use a bit more introduction to all the aspects of the clan.
And for the newcomer it might be harder to write in general chat than to specifically contact the assigned buddy.
The program should in general help to activate as many of us players as possible - new as old - to keep the activity in clan high. The high activity should then further enhance the possibilities of a good learning-environment.

I for one - as relatively new aboard - would like to offer myself as part of the buddy-program in the following setup:

I give advice on what to keep focus on in clan
I platoon frequently in the beginning with the newcomer
I suggest courses and/or specific research-paths
I try to help out in every possible way

"Paying it forward" is the general idea here.

Just another thought
/B
Brainfarter
Brainfarter
Lead Guide
Lead Guide

Back to top Go down

Suggestion - buddyprogram? Empty Re: Suggestion - buddyprogram?

Post  Sapaki Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:38 pm

That is a brilliant idea, I can think a couple of drawbacks though, nothing that could not be solved if we thought this through.... 

What I can tell you for sure is that we will certainly discuss this in our next staff meeting and look into whether we should go for it and more importantly figure out how it might be implemented.
Sapaki
Sapaki
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself

Back to top Go down

Post  glooscap Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Great suggestion Brainfarter! When I first joined I had a quick chat with Ding who said that he tries to platoon with all new members and then give them critical feedback on their playstyle, areas for improvement etc. I know that Ding is busy and that there has been a lot of new members so a buddy system whereby a new member is paired with an experienced existing STGA member is a great idea.

I've not had a critical review or done any platooning - if anyone wants to 'adopt me' or be my friend Crying or Very sad
glooscap
glooscap

Back to top Go down

Post  RoninRage Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:23 am

I agree this is a good idea and i am also volunteering as some sort of "mentor" because this was also the reason of my change to SGTA2.
But one thing has to be mentioned I can offer only:

• general how things work here
  • platooning in my own limitations (tier 1-4 possibly 5 because on all higher tiers i don't feel comfortable myself)
  • trying to be helpful as i try it always when on in the forums or in game chat
  • answer questions or do training room regarding low tier premium tanks because i own loads of them
  • general help with game and game client related stuff (settings, replays, etc)
  • I think I am NOT qualified NOR experienced enough to assess anybodies playstyle ... possibly on tier 1's Razz 

Greetz
Ronin
RoninRage
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Brainfarter Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:32 am

Thx for the response so far.

My idea is actually more to evolve a strong(er) network within members so that everyone gets the most of the time in clan.
And - as mentioned - to get everyone into a more active role.

Im not saying the buddies cannot or should not help with tips / tricks. But I personally think that job is for the instructors. We are here on a more social mission - to get people into an active role in clan.

We owe it to the clan and the other members to make this the best place to be when on WoT.

/B
Brainfarter
Brainfarter
Lead Guide
Lead Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:22 am

Hello. Despite being absent for 10 days or so right after first joining 1 thing did strike me of my 3 times on TS. No one to welcome me or give me any info on the channels or such.. met some nice chaps to platoon with but felt that it would have made me feel more at home and less worried about making some schooolboy error if some designated person could have taken me under thier wing if even for a short time just to show me the ropes.. avast me hearties!

So I support this buddy scheme and even though Im not really clued up about much yet about the playstyles of the tanks I can shoot the hair of a rabbit at 500m and am tactically aware. I would happily offer my time and support to anyone who asks for it ( or even who hasnt) i would very much like some platoon time with some more expereinced players and would welcome some assesment of my weaknesses and strengths.

Your back my back.. scratch scratch.
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

Post  IronClaw Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 am

In my WoW guild we had a recruiting officer and classleaders to take care of this. Their responsibility was to take each new recruits through the basic stuff for our guild. Set them up on TS, show them how the website and forums worked (where not self-explanatory), how to sign up for events, etc.
Since we were a hard-core guild, this gave us two things:
1) A new member would get up to speed asap
2) We got to see how much attention and effort a new member would spent on getting up to speed (usually an indicator on how well they would end up doing)

Point 2 is probably not useful for SGTA, but there's still a message in it: It's a two-way street.
Existing members and officers should help out where they can, but new people also have to spend some effort themselves. A network doesn't fall out of the sky, you have to build it yourself. Of course people have to be open to it and willing to invest time in new members as well Smile

I think the buddy-idea is very nice and it could help new people get started a bit quicker, but I suggest having some dedicated people for that who also have enough admin rights on TS and the forum etc to set things up for new members.
Apart from that, here's some things new people can do to speed up the networking:

1) Talk in the Academy HQ channel. Doesn't have to be long monologues, but just join in conversations and start them yourself. Sometimes no one responds, usually because people are in-game. Doesn't matter: still talk! People will notice you eventually Razz
2) Ask for toons. A lot. It's a numbers game, the more you ask, the more you will get into toons. on't just sit around hoping to get invited. The best part about toons is that takes only one guy to start one! "Starting a toon, tiers x to y, who's joining!?" usually does the trick. Repeat it after every battle you play until someone joins Razz
3) Check TS. Its the first thing I do when I play WoT. I first start TS and see who's on. Whenever you see 2 people in a channel, chances are high they are in a platoon and have an open spot. I just join their channel and ask if I can join and guess what, I've never been declined. If there's people in the lobby, just chat with them. If you see a full platoon (3 players in one channel), join them and ask if you can listen in. Make sure ur quiet when they are in a match, but right after the match you can usually chat along a bit.
If everyone is busy, I usually just go sit in one of the platoon channels to show that I'd like to platoon but am a little lonely Razz
4) Join events. TC's, trainings, etc and try to be an active participant. Ask some questions, make some suggestions, etc.
5) Use ü a lot. If ü type some of yoür messages with a lot of üüüüüü's in it, some people are boünd to notice yoü. It's a clan thing, don't ask, just düüüü it! Wink
IronClaw
IronClaw
Lead Guide
Lead Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:22 am

IronClaw wrote:
5) Use ü a lot. If ü type some of yoür messages with a lot of üüüüüü's in it, some people are boünd to notice yoü. It's a clan thing, don't ask, just düüüü it! Wink

Using ÿ works also, and ä and ö. But ë is bit too far. Never use å though.

Back to the topic.
We had discussed about a mentor program earlier, but it was too complex. This kind of buddy program is a good idea as it's simpler and makes it possible to have non-staff take part on it. We'll be discussing it in the next staff meeting. Until then keep posting your suggestions and thoughts on the matter Smile .
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 am

I think this could really work and could possible take some of the load off the staff/teachers/advanced members. Players of intermediate skill can help new low skilled members get up to speed on the basics, help them choose a decent line to grind and offer them some general advice that will help them achieve "yellow/green" status.

This would in turn mean the more experienced and advanced members ("blues and up") have more time on their hands to help out intermediates improve further.
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  blackchamber Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:17 pm

nilzatron wrote:
This would in turn mean the more experienced and advanced members ("blues and up") have more time on their hands to help out intermediates improve further.

I dont think there is anyone in sgta that falls in to the 'up' category? Crying or Very sad 

Kawashiro we need you back! ....Damn, did I just say that??????

I think the buddy program is a nice idea, but arent people coming to sgta to learn on their OWN initiative? Dont get me wrong its a nice idea, but people coming to sgta should be able to find out about all the relevant stuff beforehand on the forums here. Ah well, i think im to negative again here, its just my german nature. Wink 

blackchamber
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Brainfarter Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:36 pm

blackchamber wrote:
nilzatron wrote:

I dont think there is anyone in sgta that falls in to the 'up' category? Crying or Very sad 

I think the buddy program is a nice idea, but arent people coming to sgta to learn on their OWN initiative? Dont get me wrong its a nice idea, but people coming to sgta should be able to find out about all the relevant stuff beforehand on the forums here. Ah well, i think im to negative again here, its just my german nature. Wink 

My original thought was to let the instructors teach, and let us as clan-members have more responsibility in letting the new ones in and thereby getting them (and us) to become more active members with a larger network.
More platooning, more direct involvement with other players willing to learn, can only lead to better results.
Brainfarter
Brainfarter
Lead Guide
Lead Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Wasp Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:08 am

blackchamber wrote:

Blacky we need to seriously start padding your stats!
I think we could name the project "Road to Kawashiro" or something similar. Very Happy
Wasp
Wasp
DEP. COMMANDER
DEP. COMMANDER

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:14 am

Brainfarter wrote:My original thought was to let the instructors teach, and let us as clan-members have more responsibility in letting the new ones in and thereby getting them (and us) to become more active members with a larger network.
More platooning, more direct involvement with other players willing to learn, can only lead to better results.

I'm not saying we should run lessons (that would effectively make us instructors). I'm saying there are a bunch of basic pointers we as intermediates could help our less skilled members with.

Simple stuff (to us), like how to play in a platoon more effectively, when do you try and cap, how do you engage a more powerful tank, basic weakspots. When I am platooning with SGTA members that are below my skill level, I try to explain as much as I can along the way and make sure they get something more out of it then hoping I can help them improve their winrate a few tenths during the course of the session. We could definitely drag someone into a training room every now and then and show them something they might be struggling with (things like: show them how to pen a specific tank, show them a good hull down position, train a technique 1 on 1).
Instructors would run their lessons as usual ofcourse, both basic and advanced, because they offer a more focused and complete insight on certain aspects of the game.
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Shufuni Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 am

grumpyste2000 wrote:Great suggestion Brainfarter! When I first joined I had a quick chat with Ding who said that he tries to platoon with all new members and then give them critical feedback on their playstyle, areas for improvement etc. I know that Ding is busy and that there has been a lot of new members so a buddy system whereby a new member is paired with an experienced existing STGA member is a great idea.

I've not had a critical review or done any platooning - if anyone wants to 'adopt me' or be my friend Crying or Very sad

Happy to be your buddy pack - rules;

- must have a warped sense of humour.
- no nose picking during battles as your finger slips of the fire button at the most crucial moment....I know this for a fact Wink 
- if Sapaki gate crashes the platoon on ts, moo at him like a pregnant cow!
- during battle, no attempts to be made to break any record set by Flint Greasewood.

Shuf
Shufuni
Shufuni

Back to top Go down

Post  blackchamber Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:14 am

Wasp wrote:
blackchamber wrote:

Blacky we need to seriously start padding your stats!
I think we could name the project "Road to Kawashiro" or something similar. Very Happy

Shocked DAFUQ?
Ok, after the first shocking moments are over, i am considering your proposal.
What we need to do then is: working on my typing skills, me being mute or all of you just muting me and a serious alteration of my 'social skills'.

Come on guys, we can do it, im gonna be the next kawashiro(too bad most of you dont even know her)

Oh and sry for derailing the thread...

blackchamber
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  crazytony0 Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:30 am

the idea sounds nice, i see one problem however not yet mentioned: How do you make sure those buddies end up oftem enough at the same times, thus meaning they can play together oftem enough? sure you can make appointements, but that can be very hard for those of us who havent got much time/uncertain houres etc,..

but still, i realy like the concept, afterall, kawashiro was more or less a buddy for me and i learned a lot from here (still more stuff out there to learn tough)

crazytony0

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 pm

As sort of a trial run, I have taken up coaching antoncini.

To do this I will review and comment on some of his replays periodically, get into training rooms to practice basics and platoon with him to put theory to practice.
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  fluffy_paw Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:17 am

I also need some help, Nilz!

fluffy_paw

Back to top Go down

Post  IronClaw Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:47 am

We are working hard on the buddyprogram, I expect some announcements early next week! Smile

For training on gameplay though, we have instructors. You can request them instructions on almost any topic you can imagine (well, WoT related that is Razz).
Analyizing replays etc sounds very helpful though, we can all help eachother out for that. If I may make a suggestion: use the Replay section in the forum for it. That way everybody can learn from each others replays and the comments on them.
IronClaw
IronClaw
Lead Guide
Lead Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum