SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

I am NOT quitting the game (not anymore!) - Edit: The Whales have been saved! (read my 3rd post)

+18
Observer
PointyHairedJedi
Vampir_Kifla
glisa_dejan
antoncini
Rancidpunk
SunTZuGa
BadGene616
Brainfarter
Vallu01
Wasp
we_just_dinged_em
BehemothNL
Boos B
Shufuni
nilzatron
Ding760
Sapaki
22 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

I am NOT quitting the game (not anymore!) - Edit: The Whales have been saved! (read my 3rd post) - Page 2 Empty Re: I am NOT quitting the game (not anymore!) - Edit: The Whales have been saved! (read my 3rd post)

Post  nilzatron Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Yeah, DDR2 is stupidly expensive now. When I bought the 2x4GB DDR3 that is now collecting dust, 4 GB DDR2 was more expensive...
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

I am NOT quitting the game (not anymore!) - Edit: The Whales have been saved! (read my 3rd post) - Page 2 Empty Re: I am NOT quitting the game (not anymore!) - Edit: The Whales have been saved! (read my 3rd post)

Post  Sapaki Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Unfortunately, DDR3 is not backwards compatible with DDR2. So, depending on the price of the processor I can get my hands on, plus the availability and price of DDR2, I will decide whether I will keep the m/b I already have or buy a new one with a new processor.
Sapaki
Sapaki
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Ok update:

Option 1:

I have found all of the components except DDR2 memory modules which are way overpriced. If anyone finds some old DDR2 @ 800Hz dims just lemme know because PC is then constructible. 

Socket is 755

Cost: very low, provided someone comes up with the DDR2 dimms. Buying DDR2 from the webz is not worth it since for 4GB i will have to pay smth between 40-60 Euros.

Option 2

If no one has DDR2, then I will buy an i3 3240 and an ASUS P8H61-M LX3 m/b for 155 Euros in total and put nilz's DDR3 dims in it.

Socket is 1155

Cost: 155 Euros, but very expandable system due to socket.  

Sorry for ball-busting guys but I think I am slowly gettting there...

Last edited by Sapaki on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Sapaki
Sapaki

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Sapaki wrote:Ok update:

Option 2

If no one has DDR2, then I will buy an i3 3240 and an ASUS P8H61-M LX3 m/b for 155 Euros in total and put nilzas DDR3 dims in it.

Socket is 1155

Master Sapaki,

go for it now !!! Don't event think about the first option and put nilz's 8 GB DDR3, buy an i3 3240 and switch on Hyper-Threading, install Windows 64-bit (NOT 32-bit Exclamation ), as I remember somebody offered GPU or find an best buy with 2GB (or 1GB) DDR3 and start to save money for i7 CPU Wink .
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Did you get my PM Sapaki? I said that I got DDR2, 800MHz, 4GB (2x2GB) RAM.
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Go for option 2 mate if it's not too much of a stretch, better system and gameplay.
I might have a couple of DDR2 sticks sat around but I think they are 1066 so I'll stick them on a test bed and check if the stepping can be changed for your option 1 m/b and you could always underclock them to 800.
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Vallu01 wrote:Did you get my PM Sapaki? I said that I got DDR2, 800MHz, 4GB (2x2GB) RAM.
ninja'd Very Happy 
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:20 pm

SunTZuGa wrote:
Sapaki wrote:Ok update:

Option 2

If no one has DDR2, then I will buy an i3 3240 and an ASUS P8H61-M LX3 m/b for 155 Euros in total and put nilzas DDR3 dims in it.

Socket is 1155

Master Sapaki,

go for it now !!! Don't event think about the first option and put nilzas 8 GB DDR3, buy an i3 3240 and switch on Hyper-Threading, install Windows 64-bit (NOT 32-bit Exclamation ), as I remember somebody offered GPU or find an best buy with 2GB (or 1GB) DDR3 and start to save money for i7 CPU Wink .
Not that hyperthreading will help with gaming, personally I'd save up an extra 50 euros and find an i5 quad core instead!
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 pm

Holy shit, I just looked up the Sandybridge 2500k and it's £100 more than when I bought it so an Ivybridge is cheaper!
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:30 pm

SunTZuGa wrote:
Master Sapaki,

go for it now !!! Don't event think about the first option and put nilzas 8 GB DDR3, buy an i3 3240 and switch on Hyper-Threading, install Windows 64-bit (NOT 32-bit Exclamation ), as I remember somebody offered GPU or find an best buy with 2GB (or 1GB) DDR3 and start to save money for i7 CPU Wink .
You speak the truth depite being white and full of black spots my young dalmatian kifla-loving padawan.

I must try to get my hands on that monz and try to go down the i3 path.

Edit: found the monz! we are in business baby!
Sapaki
Sapaki

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:31 pm

Rancidpunk wrote:
Not that hyperthreading will help with gaming, personally I'd save up an extra 50 euros and find an i5 quad core instead!

I'm using EasyToolz http://www.strategie-zone.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6181 that helps me to make a more fps. If EasyToolz will see "more CPUs" maybe will be possible to dedicate them to WoT.
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Shit forgot about the modules you proposed Vallu...
Sapaki
Sapaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:35 pm

SunTZuGa wrote:
Rancidpunk wrote:

I'm using EasyToolz http://www.strategie-zone.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6181   that helps me to make a more fps. If EasyToolz will see "more CPUs" maybe will be possible to dedicate them to WoT.
Most games atm can only use one core that's why I though an i5 would be a better bet for gaming use. leaves one core dedicated to the game and three actual cores for everything else. Multithreading makes each core think it's two cores which is great for compression and movie editing etc. but can actually make the core used for gaming under perform if hyperthreading is turned on.

Last edited by Rancidpunk on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Sapaki wrote:

You speak the truth depite being white and full of black spots my young dalmatian kifla-loving padawan.

I'M NOT KIFLA-LOVING Razz Very Happy . I'm not Vampir Very Happy ! I'm Croatian but don't hurt my fillings calling me Dalmatian Very Happy !
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:42 pm

SunTZuGa wrote:
I'M NOT KIFLA-LOVING Razz Very Happy . I'm not Vampir Very Happy ! I'm Croatian but don't hurt my fillings calling me Dalmatian Very Happy !
Wow Dalmatians must be some real assholes! I get the same reaction from Vampir each time I say he is dalmatian. "I am NOT Dalmatian!"

It goes without saying that after a reaction like this, I constantly keep calling him dalmatian...
Sapaki
Sapaki

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Rancidpunk wrote:
SunTZuGa wrote:
Rancidpunk wrote:

I'm using EasyToolz http://www.strategie-zone.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6181   that helps me to make a more fps. If EasyToolz will see "more CPUs" maybe will be possible to dedicate them to WoT.
Most games atm can only use one core that's why I though an i5 would be a better bet for gaming use.
Yes, I know what is your thoughts and you are right ... And, in case of master Sapaki has found a more moneeeeey then will be better to buy i5. I just have a placebo effect with EasyToolz Very Happy but I feel better now ... So, why not to use the EasyToolz ... It's Easy, isn't it Wink ?
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:50 pm

SunTZuGa wrote:
Rancidpunk wrote:
SunTZuGa wrote:
Rancidpunk wrote:

Most games atm can only use one core that's why I though an i5 would be a better bet for gaming use.
Yes, I know what is your thoughts and you are right ... And, in case of master Sapaki has found a more moneeeeey then will be better to buy i5. I just have a placebo effect with EasyToolz Very Happy but I feel better now ... So, why not to use the EasyToolz ... It's Easy, isn't it  Wink ?
I always get spend creep when I build systems! Although I've priced up an AMD bulldozer system with an Ati GPU, always seems stupidly cheap for the specs on paper until I see the real world test results for gaming then it's back to Intel and Nvidia Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Rancidpunk wrote:

I always get spend creep when I build systems! Although I've priced up an AMD bulldozer system with an Ati GPU, always seems stupidly cheap for the specs on paper until I see the real world test results for gaming then it's back to Intel and Nvidia Smile

You just help me a lot ! Thank you ! I'm just in process of thinking about new configuration and had doubt between AMD and Intel. Now it's gone (doubt Very Happy not thinking).
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:02 am

Ok recap #3456

GO!

both systems will share the same box, HDD, peripherals, GPU so I will give the full rig as soon as it is finalised.

RIG #1:

m/b: ASUS P5KPL-VM (this one is mine Razz)

processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5500 @2.8 GHz (from Wasp)

RAM: Kingston 2x2GB DDR (from Vallu)

Cost: being the bitch of Vallu and Wasp for life

Pros: + being the bitch of Vallu and Wasp for life

Cons: - Nothing is upgradable on this system
       -  being the bitch of Vallu and Wasp for life

RIG #2:

m/b:  ASUS P8H61-M LX3 (155 Euros in bundle with the i3)

processor: i3 3240 (same as above)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 Kingston 2x2GB DDR (from Nilz)

Cost: 155 Euros + postage fees and drawing a Pony for Nilz

Pros: + Modern System, upgradable to i7 when I win the lottery, add a powerfull GPU and you get a monster

Cons: - Spending 155 Euros 
         - I do not know shit about drawing ponies but it sure is worth a try!

And now THE 1 million Dollars Question (ok ok it's more the 155 Euros question I know...):

If you where very tight on money, but you could still find the 155 Euros required for Rig#2, would you go for Rig#2 or for stick with Rig#1?

Optional question: can a hardware wiz confirm that the components of both rigs are actually compatible and I am not talking bullshit here?

Last edited by Sapaki on Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Sapaki
Sapaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:07 am

I would always go for the little more expensive option that runs better and can be upgraded. That's what I did last year actually, and I don't have that much money to spare either.

You know what GPU you use? Would be a shame if the RAM would be bottlenecking your CPU and GPU for saving 155€
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:13 am

Errrr.... I will be using your GPU Vallu... That is untill I can find some 70 Euros or smth to upgrade by cristmas (those bastards of relatives I've got are bound to buy me a fucking present no? After all I am a lovely guy!)
Sapaki
Sapaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:18 am

Oh. Well the ram I used was enough for WoT and most games, but after upgrading to ddr3 1.6GHz 8GB everything has run a lot smoother. Of course I updated my GPU at the same time. But if you plan to play some newer games, or future games, or upgrading to better GPU, or... Well I would go for more RAM.

Someone who actually knows about this stuff, might tell more Wink
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 am

Rig 2 all the way. Hold off buying anything until later, I'll check all the components are compatible and also have a look round for the best deals I can find for cpu's.
Can you find out the exact spec of the ram(part number) and let me know what gpu you are using.
Also could I have the link to the mb/cpu, some of the bundles are sold on low power green motherboards so need very, very specific 1.5v ram. I found that out after much hair pulling when building my current system Smile

edit: I think the cpu will be a bit underpowered at 2.8ghz, gaming does really need minimum 3.0ghz before turboboost, nowadays!
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:27 am

Rancidpunk wrote:Rig 2 all the way. Hold off buying anything until later, I'll check all the components are compatible and also have a look round for the best deals I can find for cpu's.
Can you find out the exact spec of the ram(part number) and let me know what gpu you are using.
Also could I have the link to the mb/cpu, some of the bundles are sold on low power green motherboards so need very, very specific 1.5v ram. I found that out after much hair pulling when building my current system Smile
GPU: Palit (Nvidia) Geforce GTS 250 1gb GDDR3
http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=1214 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261062

In christmas or smth I will try to upgrade to a GeForce GT640 (70-80 Euros) or a Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR (80-90 Euros) or something with better specs and equivalent value at the time.

Nilz can tell you about the RAM, the modules are his...

The m/b is most probably not green, I have found it in a hardware shop I trust for decent prices near my office. The CPU and the m/b can be sold separately for the same total price.

To be more precise, the i3 is proposed @ 110 Euros and the m/b is proposed @ 45 Euros all taxes included.
Sapaki
Sapaki

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:38 am

Sapaki wrote:Ok recap #3456

GO!

both systems will share the same box, HDD, peripherals, GPU so I will give the full rig as soon as it is finalised.

RIG #2:

m/b:  ASUS P8H61-M LX3 (155 Euros in bundle with the i3)

processor: i3 3240Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5500 @2.8 GHz (same as above)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 Kingston 2x2GB DDR (from Nilz)

CPU compatible. Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 seems to be. The DDR3 1600 Qualified Vendors List (QVL) http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/H61-PLUS/Intel-H61-Memory-QVL.pdf list CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10(XMP) 8GB DS - - 10-10-10-27 1.50V but Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9.html is very similar except latency ( 9-9-9-24) but voltage is the same (1.5V). Seems to be good. And, finally you MB has only two DIMMs so you can't put additional Kingston DDR.

Sapaki wrote:

If you where very tight on money, but you could still find the 155 Euros required for Rig#2, would you go for Rig#2 or for stick with Rig#1?

Optional question: can a hardware wiz confirm that the components of both rigs are actually compatible and I am not talking bullshit here?

Go for Rig#2.

Look at possible scenario with Rig#1: Old MB can be easily non working MB.

Look at scenario with Rig#2: Asus MB Standard Warranty 3 Years.
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next