SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Lag- Laptop performance

+2
Sapaki
Dannyboy
6 posters

Go down

Lag- Laptop performance Empty Lag- Laptop performance

Post  Dannyboy Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:53 am

Hi,

I have a 4 year old ish laptop definitely not designed for gaming. It's still running pretty well but i tend to experience a lot of lag when playing WoT. Either it will lag out for 3-5 seconds (could end up 30m from where i thought i was) or its a continuous lag which makes any non-short range shooting almost impossible. Since i won't be buying a new laptop for at least another year probably, i was wondering if people had any suggestions as to how to reduce lag and improve performance.

I've already tried removing all unwanted programs on my laptop by the way, and on task manager removing 'explorer.exe.' whilst playing.

Thanks

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Lag- Laptop performance Empty Re: Lag- Laptop performance

Post  Sapaki Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:51 am

Hello,

As you describe it this is not a computer performance issue. If your computer'sperformance was in question you would not lag (i.e. game pauses and resumes 3 secs later with your tank having moved 30m in the direction you where heading), it would have a low fps value. when you usually play what is your fps like?

Now your lag can be due to the following factors: 

a) you are using a Wi-Fi connection and you are experiencing packet loss. This is very common, expecially if your laptop is not in the same room with your router

b) faulty wiring in your house

c) your ISP is to blame (very rare)

d) a program might be trying to access the internet when these lags occur. Mind you the program in question can be your AV (there must be an option to "freeze" your AV while you play), it can be windows updates, or any other program that might automaticaly scan the web for updates from time to time.

e) you might have a virus on your PC. Check it, scan it, remove it if it's there.

You can also contact WG support, they sent me a link with a small diagnostic tool to run so as to see where the packet loss actually occured.

Hope this helps
Sapaki
Sapaki
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself

Back to top Go down

Post  Moulie Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:29 am

I have a sneaking suspicion that lag like this could be due to reading data from the HDD. It happens to me sometimes on my laptop when the engine would need to load in a new chunk of the map or when fighting first starts and i suspect it is the game engine fetching new graphical data. What is the speed of your HDD, how much RAM and VRAM do you have, what have you set the draw distance and textures to?

Moulie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:41 pm

My fps tends to be pretty low, around the 8ish mark.
And my laptop is in a different room to the router.

As for texture/graphics, they are all set to the lowest possible. I have 121/285 Gbytes free space.

I tried using Game Booster and optimizing my laptop for best performance and lag does seem to have reduced a fair amount.

Any ideas for what i should actually try in order to reduce lag?

Oh and i am almost certain i don't have a virus. I run Norton and no viruses have come up lately.

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:18 pm

Dannyboy wrote:My fps tends to be pretty low, around the 8ish mark.

As for texture/graphics, they are all set to the lowest possible. I have 121/285 Gbytes free space.

I tried using Game Booster and optimizing my laptop for best performance and lag does seem to have reduced a fair amount.

Any ideas for what i should actually try in order to reduce lag?

Oh and i am almost certain i don't have a virus. I run Norton and no viruses have come up lately.
You could save a bit of system resources by uninstalling Norton and using Avast!
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:22 pm

Not going to be happening i'm afraid..

It's really furstrating me now. It's getting me killed 3/4 times and the 1/4 of the times it doesnt, it loses me kills. Sent off a request for that packet loss diagnosis tool though.

Was watching fps and it was from 3-8, almost at 3 for half a match recently!

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:30 am

Dannyboy wrote:My fps tends to be pretty low, around the 8ish mark.

Running Norton is like having a virus Very Happy . Norton is very large HW resources "consumer" Crying or Very sad . Start think about running Norton in gaming mode when you would play WoT next time. Might be better ...
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:07 am

I run norton on silent mode when playing but it doesnt have a huge effect

Now im getting 10-11 fps when playing some of the time, but lag gets me killed almost every game as it freezes for up to 10 seconds often

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Moulie Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:27 am

Does your laptop have a dedicated video card with its own RAM or is it an onboard with shared RAM?

Moulie

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:45 am

Dannyboy wrote:
Danny,

I tried before to play on my PC with router on the top on PC and wireless network card in PC and that didn't work at all.

Any chance to old-fashion UTP cable connection ?
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:48 am

SunTZuGa wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:
Danny,

I tried before to play on my PC with router on the top on PC and wireless network card in PC and that didn't work at all.

Any chance to old-fashion UTP cable connection ?
Nope...

Moulie wrote:Does your laptop have a dedicated video card with its own RAM or is it an onboard with shared RAM?
Don't know what you mean..

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  lostplace Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:02 am

Dannyboy wrote:
Moulie wrote:Does your laptop have a dedicated video card with its own RAM or is it an onboard with shared RAM?
Some laptops designed for business use have video adapters like Intel HD Graphics which is cpu integrated and does not have it's own (fast) video memory. Check the specification of your laptop and you will find out if you have a 'real' graphic adapter or some of those powerpoint display devices. The newer ones like Intel HD Graphics 4000 which I have myself can run WoT with
minimal settings in a smaller window at ok speed, but I think on a 4 year old laptop with such a video adapter you will hardly get your game to an acceptable fps level.

Some suggestions of things you may not yet have tried to improve performance:

- remove unneccessary data from hard disk and defragment it (did help surprisingly a lot on my pc)
- do not start any other programs before playing or reboot if neccessary
- wait some time with playing after starting your pc (some programs start automatic updates after booting)
- reduce window size (less pixels to calculate)
- set task prio of WoT process to 'high' in task manager
- install scope shadow remove mod (http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/259471-scope-shadow-removal-for-87/)
- install texture compression mod (http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/261538-update-texture-compression-087-0753612525-and-50/page__pid__5097516#entry5097516)
- avoid using other mods if not really neccessary (though a good crosshair mod like jimbos may be worth an exception from that)

lostplace

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:56 am

lostplace wrote:

- remove unneccessary data from hard disk and defragment it (did help surprisingly a lot on my pc)
- wait some time with playing after starting your pc (some programs start automatic updates after booting)
- install scope shadow remove mod (http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/259471-scope-shadow-removal-for-87/)
- install texture compression mod (http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/261538-update-texture-compression-087-0753612525-and-50/page__pid__5097516#entry5097516)
- avoid using other mods if not really neccessary (though a good crosshair mod like jimbos may be worth an exception from that)
And try WoT tweaker http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/125384-wot-tweaker-upd-for-087/ .
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:14 am

lostplace wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:
Some laptops designed for business use have video adapters like Intel HD Graphics which is cpu integrated and does not have it's own (fast) video memory. Check the specification of your laptop and you will find out if you have a 'real' graphic adapter or some of those powerpoint display devices. The newer ones like Intel HD Graphics 4000 which I have myself can run WoT with
minimal settings in a smaller window at ok speed, but I think on a 4 year old laptop with such a video adapter you will hardly get your game to an acceptable fps level.

Thanks for the advice. I've done all but the two installation points which i'll try.
Because i installed WoT on the admin account which i think is less cluttered and less used, for some reason i can't set WOT priority to high (it says access denied) and yet strangely when using a non-admin user account i can set WoT to high. However, since i installed WoT on the admin account, only on that account can i play WoT (otherwise access is denied). Strange..

As for the other thing, i have a Celeron Dual-Core CPU processor if that means anything to you. I won't have any fancy graphics things, just what came with my laptop, (Model HP G61 NoteBook PC) by the way.

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:22 am

Dannyboy wrote:
As for the other thing, i have a Celeron Dual-Core CPU processor if that means anything to you. I won't have any fancy graphics things, just what came with my laptop, (Model HP G61 NoteBook PC) by the way.
I suppose you have the HP G61-410SA with Processor: Intel Celeron Dual-Core T3100 on 1900 MHz and Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500M integrated shared memory graphic card for laptops ( shared with main memory up to 384 MB). Compared to the GMA 4500M HD, the 4500M features a slower core clock (400 MHz versus 533MHz) and is thus a bit slower in games. The gaming performance of the 4500M is not really good. Only less demanding 3D games and very old games may run fluently in low detail settings.
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 am

I understood all of that.. Wink

Just had a lovely session of about 8fps but practically no lag. Was lovely. I havent actually got round to the texture download (links are dodgy) will try tomorrow (or should i say today now). If only it was always like that...

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  SunTZuGa Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:49 am

Dannyboy wrote:I understood all of that.. Wink

Just had a lovely session of about 8fps but practically no lag. Was lovely. I havent actually got round to the texture download (links are dodgy) will try tomorrow (or should i say today now). If only it was always like that...
cheers 
SunTZuGa
SunTZuGa

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:32 pm

I downloaded the 0.75% textures into WOlrd of Tanks>Res>Packages>0.87 (or whatever the number is), then extracted using winrar and installed, and yet when i play there doesnt seem to be any difference in graphics/performance. Did i do something wrong..?

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Moulie Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:00 am

Looking at the specs on the HP website the graphics processor shares the computers 'running' memory with the operating system. This will reduce performance when loading in textures etc. The hard drive is quite slow at 5400rpm so the time it takes to read from it and write to it is quite long in comparason to a gaming rig. Combine these facts with the older cpu and gpu and i think the reduced textures etc are the way to go. You could be on 100mbps fiber and would still 'lag' due to the slow loading/reading/processing times of the core components of the laptop.

Moulie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:36 am

You know more about my laptop than i do! What i dont understand about the compressed textures is i've downloaded the 0.75% into res>packages>0.8(whatever the number is), extracted it and installed but there's been no fps/performance change. Have i missed something?

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Moulie Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:12 am

Even thought you ahve downloaded the 75% pack, have you choosen it as an option.....maybe remove all the other tectures and just have that in the textures folder?

Moulie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:21 am

Still having trouble with it..

Does anyone know exactly the location in which i should put it or how to activate it or something..?

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum