SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Situational awerness in depth

Go down

Situational awerness in depth Empty Situational awerness in depth

Post  lazydot Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Hey guys, I've found a great post about situational awareness, explained with many details and examples in a thread, where a player was moaning about being unable to get out of 47% WR.
Thread: http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/215315-i-can-not-get-out-of-47-of-victories
Post: http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/215315-i-can-not-get-out-of-47-of-victories/page__st__40__pid__4175892#entry4175892

Copy paste for lazy:

Finding tanks that suites your style of play is probably something you should start with. Such tanks will let you win more often, but more importantly, you can use such tanks to learn about enemy tanks (weaknesses and strengths), maps (first learn where you are in cover from arties, then how to control the map) and what it is that makes you good at that tank (size? armor? bounce factor? sight range? sniper cannon? mobility? etc). Just notice such things and commit it to memory. It is easier to experiment and learn when you are in a tank you do good in.

You don't really need to know about all weak spots to be good at the game, but it helps to know weak spots on the tanks you have most trouble facing. It can also be good to learn other weaknesses, such as what tanks have trouble with gun depression, that can be key when facing them.

It happens (sometimes too many times in a row for it to be anywhere near fun) that you get teams that simply die and everything is lost before you know what have happened, but over all it balance out and you get good teams as well. Key to becoming a better player is to understand what you do wrong. This also includes accepting that you do bad mistakes, we all do. Just blaming the teams for your losses will teach you nothing (though sometimes, especially late at night, the teams self-obliterate. It is however best to search for ways to improve instead of getting worked up about the team).

Here are some things I feel is central to doing good on the battlefield:

Situational awareness
This is very important. This isn't just to see what is going on around you or on the minimap, even if many believe it to be just that. It is to be aware of what is going on in the match (in front of you and preferably also elsewhere) and understand it. It is to see the big picture and predict what is about to happen. To be aware of what is going on right now is important, but the key is to be able to understand how the situation will evolve. Get in that blue box and predict the future.

Good situational awareness is what tells you that is is time to bail or advance because the overall battle is changing (that for example the other front is about to fall or win). Many battles are won because some players are simply good at changing flank when it is needed, or returning to base to be there in time to defend. Players who insist to push on instead of defending, and then losing because of it, have crappy situational awareness (they are everywhere, I say 12-14 out of 15 players).

It is easy to focus entirely on that annoying tank in front of you, I often get lost in my personal battle, but when you get a moment to catch your breath (you are in cover, both you and the enemy have fired and wait for reload etc) then you have no excuse to not check the minimap and messages in chat. Before charging to a new battle, try to get a feel where you are needed, perhaps the right way isn't going forward.

Situational awareness is key to pretty much everything you want to do, if your goal is to do the correct thing that makes a win more likely. You will rarely get map control without it. Adapting tactics, control the opponent and capitalizing on mistakes will be far more difficult. It is also a good bet that you also will fail to do what the team needs to be done.

Map control
Control the map and win. Easy! Cover the flanks, secure and contest positions of strength. Deny access to the opponents. Never camp the base unless a few defenders are needed, never! If you give your opponent total map control then they can shoot you from all angles, from positions they choose, and their arty will target both your tanks and your own arties. If there are plenty of artillery in the match the last thing you should do is camp the base.

Every map have a couple of places that are important because they give an advantage to whoever control that position. Most matches reflect this by the team splitting up to a few places where battle commences. This is a good thing. Don't lemming off in one direction. Learn the maps and what places strengthen whoever controls it. Contest, secure, move on. Also find spots you can use with your tank and use them to gain map control.

Map control is to control good positions that gives you an advantage in battle (like cover and sniping positions) as well as the ability to deny the enemy to move around. To do this comes naturally in the game, keep it in mind though so you understand what you are giving up if something might be given up. Opponents should never get good positions freely.

Control the opponents' actions
Any battle is based on actions and reactions. It might sound obvious when I say that your opponent reacts to your actions and vice versa, but it seems that few people understand this. When you act, the opponent will react. This is the best way to control your opponents' actions. If you get a flanking position and start sniping their side, then someone on the enemy team will react to it (often the target, his platoon mate or artillery). If there is no reaction, then you get to deal damage for free.

This is a way to control where the opponents will focus their attention and forces. It is a good way to make them turn turrets and thus allow your team mates to advance or get free shots, or to draw forces away from a contested area. If your assumptions about how they will react to your actions are correct, then you can pick the action that have the reaction you are looking for and thus dictate the opponents own actions.

If you have no specific reaction you want the opponent to take, then try forcing him into doing a mistake. Be a pain in the ass, stress the opponent out or bait him. A lot of the outcome of the battle is decided by the mistakes you and your opponent are doing.

Capitalize on mistakes
This makes a lot of difference. Everyone makes mistakes, that by itself is dangerous but when people have the wits to capitalize on it then battles can be turned around. Don't get me wrong, even when people do everything right they can get owned, but if you can capitalize on mistakes then your opponent might get owned now instead of later (if at all). If you can wait for a mistake then do so. If you have the option to try to force the opponent to make a mistake, then opt for that.

If you can't find any mistakes to capitalize on then analyze what is going on in your matches because you are obviously missing something. When you get owned because you did something foolish or risky, then remember it so you can avoid doing it in the future as well as punishing opponents who do the same mistakes. When you get owned because the opponent was smart or did something unexpected, then remember it because you should use it as soon as opportunity arise. A mistake is the best teacher.

If you never do mistakes then you are playing the wrong game and flame your “noob team” in vain. You will never improve and should just quit.

Team play
As many point out, no player can win by themselves. Always remember that the goal (at least for me) is that your team wins, not that you should win all by yourself. Protect the bloody base instead of charging. Get your DPS on the field instead of camping that bush in the base. Strengthen flanks that are about to fall. Stop a shot by blocking it if that means you save a team mate as well as surviving yourself, sometimes it is even worth sacrificing yourself to save a tank that is more important. A bonus is that he also get cover from your wreck.

I have taken many shoots to save allies and only once have someone saved me by blocking a shot (not counting platoon mates). That happened only a few days ago (thank you twoopen2) when I was playing like a moron. I got the opportunity to come to his rescue later in the match.

If you are the tank that can take hits better then the rest around you, then take those hits because you can take it and thus save the team's DPS on the field. There are a surprisingly large number of well armored heavies that rather let mediums or french tanks take hits before they take a quick peek, shoot and hide again. Don't do that.

I believe that the most important thing in this game is to be a team player. It doesn't mean that you necessarily must die for your team mates, in some situations you are more important and can sacrifice them, but from time to time you will have to do things that either are boring or get you killed. You will need good situational awareness to get it right. In the end, all the skills you acquire in this game should be used to help your team win.

Enjoy :-)
lazydot
lazydot

Back to top Go down