SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start)

+2
Ding760
we_just_dinged_em
6 posters

Go down

Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start) Empty Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start)

Post  we_just_dinged_em Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start) Anti_a10

NOTE: Right click and select 'view image' to see the full pictures, something is wrong with the forum Sad.

Okay guys, as a die hard artillery player, I thought I'd share with you my tips on how to remain 'arty safe' on the dreaded El Halluf map. This first part of the guide is applicable if you start at the NORTH SPAWN. I will do another guide for when you start at the South later on.

El Halluf is a great map for an arty player as there is little cover and the enemy go to the predictable chokepoints. Therefore, even average SPG players can deal massive damage to careless enemy tanks. Obviously it's not so good for tanks, lots of hills, open ground and little cover means many tanks will die to even an average SPG player.

What follows are my general tips for remaining out of the sights of enemy SPGs. Be aware, there are no true arty safe points on this map (pro players will simply relocate till they hit you), but by making yourself a very difficult target, most SPG drivers will simply shoot at something else.

Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start) El_hal11

Okay, in most games your friendly arty will go to the 0 line around E/F/G. However, some players (like me) prefer to go to A/B/C 0 as it gives a better firing line for A1/2 which is where most of the action usually takes place.

In most games the enemy arty will either be spread out on the back line at H/J1 or sat on/behind the ridges at K3/4/5. Some enemy arty might go to F1 or camp at base on J2.

Area 1

This is where most of the fighting usually takes place.It’s a bit easier as the defender as you don't have the hill to contend with. Unfortunately, the enemy arty usually has this area zeroed (if they are any good) and will make you pay for any sloppiness.
Therefore, remaining ‘arty safe’ is essential in this area. As a general rule, remaining as close as possible to the mound indicated with the red line will protect your tank from most artillery. Enemy arties at E, H or J1 won’t be able to easily hit you, but be aware should you stray to far into the centre of the trail or over extend at either end of the mound (marked with the green line) you WILL get hit.
Enemy SPGs located at K3/4/5 may have a better chance of hitting you here, but again, remaining close to the mound offer the most protection. Additionally, use any wrecks to enhance your cover if you can.
Do not under any circumstances traverse the ledge marked with the blue line, there is zero cover here and you’ll be a smoking wreck in no time.

Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start) Area_110

Area 2

This area isn’t really used unless things have gone wrong and you’re on the defensive. The area marked with the red line is the only safe area, everywhere else means you can be hit from enemy arties at any of the positions on the 1 or K lines.

Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start) Area_210

Area 3 (Encounter Battle Mode Only)

This area draws new players on encounter battles as it’s the location of the flag. However, most of the time is useless to try and hold it early in the game, as it’s very exposed and artillery can just pick you off. When starting on the north side of the map, you can be hit from most enemy SPG positions (apart from perhaps F/H/J1) even if fully planted behind the rock. Your best chance is to hide behind the rock area indicated with the red line, or park your tank (if its something small like a T50) behind a larger wreck. Even in this area, its likely that enemy SPGs on the K line will be able to hit you.
Regardless, expect to die if the enemy SPG is any good. I only recommend this in no arty games or where there artillery is very bad (or otherwise occupied hehe)

Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start) Area_310

Area 4

There is a ledge here that is a favourite sniper spot for TDs as it offers a good view of the cap circle on Encounter battles. However, it's also open to artillery fire, particularly from SPGs on the 1 line. Be very cautious, stay as close to the mound as possible and don't over extend. Also, the moment you think you've been spotted, retreat behind the rocks as there's likely to be a large shell inbound with your name on it.

Area 5

Use common sense in this area and stay behind the rocks. Be aware that enemy arty located at K5 is a particular danger as it has the best chance of shooting over the rocks and hitting you. Fire and then retreat to cover as soon as possible.

Area 6

The same rules as area 5 apply to this area. The best protection can be had from sitting in the centre of the rock. Be aware the over extending to either the left or the right will open you to SPG fire (if you go to your right the angle is slightly harder for the enemy SPGs).

Area 7

This area is generally useless except in defence. Remain next to the mound at all times and you will be almost immune from the regular arty positions. A pro enemy SPG player will relocate to around J7 for the best chance at digging a defender out from this position, but usually tanks will be more of a threat than enemy artillery in this situation.

Area 8

Attacking up this road is particularly dangerous as arties on the back line or at base can hit you, and some arties may also be able to hit you from the K line. If you have to take cover, the centre of the mound (and as close to it as you can get) at J7 is the safest place. The rocks at H7 also offer good cover if you hug them, most arties on the K line will not be able to hit you from this position.

Area 9 and 10

if you are feeling brave, a fast scout can race across the map an hug the rocks in this position. In effect they will be able to light up camping enemy tanks and will be relatively safe from both SPG and tank fire, forcing enemy forces to expose themselves to dig you out. Enemy arties at K5 have the best chance of shooting you, but your biggest worry will be the hoardes of enemy tanks that race down to destroy you (but hopefully get pwned by your team). This is a very risky tactic but sometimes works in randoms where people are too bad to notice what you just did Smile

I hope you found this brief guide useful. I will make part 2 (south spawn) when I get chance. There are probably things I've missed but it covers the basics.

To understand the areas that you are safe, I recommend playing artillery occasionally, it will give you a better appreciation of the game and make you a more cautious player.

If anyone has other tips/tricks regarding SPGs on this map, feel free to share.

we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start) Empty Re: Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start)

Post  Ding760 Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 pm

A very interesting guide monty! Thank you for this insightfully written guide ^^
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start) Empty Re: Montys Guide How To Be Arty Safe - El Halluf Part 1 (North Start)

Post  Dr_Spliffy Tue May 21, 2013 8:32 pm

nice work ,
now wheres pt 2 ?
Dr_Spliffy
Dr_Spliffy

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Tue May 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Its been half written on my PC for a couple of weeks now, so much to do...

I will get round to it eventually
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  lophius Tue May 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Thank you very much. Nice work.

I usually hate arty...does this mean I hate also Monty? Very Happy
lophius
lophius

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 pm

lophius wrote:Thank you very much. Nice work.

Yup, it's how I like it.

I don't play arty to be popular, if you want a friend buy a dog!! Very Happy
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  lophius Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 pm

montyburns1982 wrote:

Yup, it's how I like it.

I don't like dogs, I prefer cats.
lophius
lophius

Back to top Go down

Post  Daeworn Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 pm

montyburns1982 wrote:

Yup, it's how I like it.

It is fun to be arty. When you do your job (dmg), enemy hates you (even when they take only small hit pussies). When you do not your job (some expectations are impossible to fulfill), teammates hate you. So every arty player drive his vehicle (we can't say tank) in battle knowing other 29 players (except other arties) hate him, leaving him without help in time of need, but expecting to help them if they need. But he does it over and over and over again. Why? Because you know what, peoples hate is only masc. They fear us; they think we are like gods who rain dead upon them from above or save their asses in time of need. And it is fun how many underestimate us because they see us fragile, slow and inaccurate, so called easy pray. But we learn to defend ourselves and nothing make us more happy then see you all burn Twisted Evil

Daeworn

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCrocodile Wed May 22, 2013 8:54 pm

Great guide! But what about the sniping position at D6 behind that rock? Starting from the north this is my favourite spot. You can cover both flanks and enemy usually is concentrating on the hill.

TheCrocodile

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Wed May 22, 2013 9:16 pm

TheCrocodile wrote:Great guide! But what about the sniping position at D6 behind that rock? Starting from the north this is my favourite spot. You can cover both flanks and enemy usually is concentrating on the hill.

It's a bad position, Russian arty like the SU-5 can shoot behind the rock, although arguably in randoms it wn't mater cos 99% of SPG players are too dumb to move.
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down