SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Panther II Guide

Go down

Panther II Guide Empty Panther II Guide

Post  Ding760 Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Panther II Guide Shot_011

Main characteristics:
- Hit points: 1350 with stock turret, 1450 with the upgraded turret.
- Cost: 2 390 000 silver, 88 500 xp
-Cost to elite from elite Panther: 251 080 silver, 70 400 xp
-Cost to elite from elite Panther and Tiger (note: having both elite will give you one of the best and shortes t stock grinds available): 58 900 silver, 29 200 xp
- View range: 380m with the stock turret, 390m with the upgraded turret
- Signal range: 415m with stock radio, 710m with top radio (Note: Standard high-tier radio)
-Gun elevation: -6°/+17°
-Chance of fire: 20% (Beware, frontal transmission, and engine that takes up all of the rear of the tank)
-Camo: Not too good, sadly, but not awful either.

PantherII gun depression and module placement:
Panther II Guide Shot_010

Crew:
1: Commander
2: Gunner
3: Driver
4: Radio operator
5: Loader

Mobility:
- Top Speed: 55km/h
- Power to Weight ratio (fully upgraded): 13.68 hp/t
- Traverse Speed: 26°/s with stock suspension, 29°/s with upgraded suspension
- Turret Traverse Speed: 42°/s with the stock turret,28°/s with the last turret
- Engine power: 610hp with stock engine, 750hp with Panther engine, 870hp with top engine
- Pivot turn: Yes
- Weight: 48t

- Comment on mobility: One thing has to be said to start with, this tank is not made for circling (big size, relatively low traverse and turret traverse, and it also bleeds a lot of speed when turning), but it is clearly mobile enough to keep your front and gun pointed at every enemy you face. The speed and acceleration are also very useful for rushing forward (GET THE HILL!), switching flanks, or moving to cover quickly. Small note: You are faster than a type59 in a straight line.

Armor:
- hull: 100/60/40mm
- stock turret: 100/45/45mm
- upgraded turret: 120/60/60mm (note: The second suspension is required to mount the turret)

Hull armor: Like all high tier Germans, the lower glacis is a massive weak spot, and will be penetrated even by T6 enemies; But you are not a slow heavy, and as long as you are in movement, enemies will have a very hard time hitting it. The upper glacis is 100mm at 55°, so the effective armor is over 150mm, and when you’re angled you can bounce surprisingly much. The side armor is enough for side-scraping, but other tanks are better scrapers (=use side-scrapping as an opportunity when presented, don’t rely on it). Overall, the armor is enough to provide a few lucky bounces when dogfighting, especially against other meds, but don’t rely on it. Also, the HP pool is very good.

Turret Armor: The frontal turret armor is composed of two parts: 1) The front itself, which is a very small target to hit (except when hugging, so wiggling is key). This part of the turret is well armored, but far from impenetrable. 2) The strongly angled sides, which are very near to the autobounce angle (20°), and nearly impenetrable. As such, the turret armor is very good, and hull-down is a strong advantage, but hard to use because of the mediocre gun depression (-6°) (combined with a high tank). Also, the commander’s hatch is a pretty big target… (note: the commanders hatch is on the left side of the turret, so try facehugging with the right turret side to the enemy. This may help, especially against smaller enemies).

Armament: I will only consider the two guns you should be using, the 7.5/L100 (for the grind) and the 88/L71. Some players may use the 88/L56 after researching the turret and before getting the L71, but I strongly recommend not doing so, due the huge lack of penetration for a T8. Also, as all guns available have extremely good ammo cost/damage ratios, I won’t put the ammo costs.

The 7.5/L100 is the top gun of the panther, and as such should be researched by now. Luckily, it can be mounted on the stock turret, so you can use it tight away.
Penetration: 198/244/38
Damage: 135/135/175 (note: don’t use HE with this gun, if 198 penetration aren’t enough, 175 HE damage are unlikely to help.)
Accuracy: 0.32 (note: This accuracy & aim-time are great on their one, coupled together they are freaking awesome!)
Aim-time: 2.3s
RPM/DPM: 12.5/1687.5

Note: This gun simply lacks the alpha/DPM for killing enemies, so you’re role is going to be to detrack and harass enemies as good you can. This is easily possible, due to very high penetration and accuracy values, allowing you to aim for weakspots at long distances. Sadly, this gun makes you a pure sniper, playing as a true medium will be impossible. Recommended layout: 100% AP.

The 88/L71 is the topgun of the PantherII and the TigerI, but the PantherII has a better DPM. The aim-time is the main drawback, but it is a very decent gun overall. (Historically, the TigerII had it).

Penetration: 203/237/44 (note: gold ammo penetration buff is pretty low, think twice before buying it)
Damage: 240/240/295 (note: HE can damage many impenetrable enemies, and is helpful on artyhunt, decapping and against hull-down enemies, if flanking is impossible)
Accuracy: 0.34
Aim-time: 2.9s (note: This is the main draw-back of the tank in my opinion, as peek-a-booming and mid-range fighting are more difficult. More about this in the Skill/module section.)
RPM/DPM: 7.79/1869,6 (note: as foe or ally, with rammer and vents, a pantherII has a 6.49s reload)

Note: This gun is a huge improvement, as it contains an acceptable alpha damage as well as a good DPM, and allows playing as a true flanking medium. Sniping is still possible, as accuracy and penetration remain german/great Wink, and should often be used at the beginning of the battle/when the opportunity presents itself.
Proposed Layout: With gold ammo: 48AP, 6APCR, 6HE. Without, 50 AP, 10HE. You will hardly run out of ammo, so you can toy around a bit Wink

Proposed upgrade path:
Spoiler:

Review:
I want to make one statement right away: The PantherII is neither easy to play, nor is it considered over-powered. On the other hand, it is far away from under-powered too, if the player tries to understand the playstyle of the tank.

Part one, playstyles: There are different playstyles possible with this tank, and I will try to talk about all of them, but my favorite will of course be more detailed.
Spoiler:

Part two, Choices: This tank is often about making choices, being an allrounder. Here are some recurring and important choices to face.
Spoiler:

Part three, Comparing with similar T8 tanks:(note: I never played any of these, but I know them as enemies, read the forum and the wiki, and have friends/clan mates who have talked about them).
Spoiler:

Quick recap: The russian and chinese are the brawlers by excellence, pershing, and pantherII are both allrounders (with the pershing having the advantage in hills, and the pantherII on guns). The Centurion is the sniper, and is pretty good in hills too, but it will have problems brawling. The T69 is an allrounder too, but trading armour for an autoloader (they work well in a platoon, by the way). Last but not least, the amx 13 90 is a combat scout with a decent gun and an autoloader, too.

Part four, crew skills and modules: I will give you options for each playtyle listed above, as well as some explanations. I will mostly go for two crew skills only, as more are improbable to be available.
Spoiler:

Part five, my general view of various skills, perks, modules and other stuff for the PantherII:
Spoiler:

Summary in quick:

Pros:
  • Mobile
  • Good gun
  • Nice allrounder
  • Can be very rewarding to play
  • Hard to play awfully

Cons:
  • Can’t circle many enemies
  • Rather big target and low camo
  • Not the best in anything (not a very situational tank)
  • Steep learning curve
  • Hard to play exceptionally well
  • Mediocra gun depression

My playsyle quick recap: The PantherII offers itself to many playstyles, which is it’s bane and blessing. Bane because you never are in “the perfect spot for your tank” but blessing because you can always adapt to the situation. The aim is to adapt to your enemies plans, and be where you are needed by your team.

Useful link: http://www.wotdb.info/#country=germany&tree=44575648
Here you can find weakspots, module placement, and calculate research costs. Weakspots of other tanks can be found here to.

Originally written by genghiswolves
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down