SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Some pointers on self study from an improving average player.

4 posters

Go down

Some pointers on self study from an improving average player. Empty Some pointers on self study from an improving average player.

Post  nilzatron Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:52 am

To start at the beginning, my first experiences with this game were in closed beta. I had to wait a while to get in, managed to get about 2500 games in and had just managed to unlock the Tiger II before the game went live and I had to start over. My empty garage demotivated me to a point where I just did not bother to come back to the game until about 6 months ago. All this time, I was doing alright with just a basic grasp of game mechanics and some casual platooning with friends.

Fairly recently I hit a performance gap 4000+ battles in and I realized that if I were to get better, I would have to put in extra effort. Through self study, I have managed to see my performance slowly ramp up towards "good" ratings. Watching tutorials on Youtube one day, I stumbled upon SGTA, so the next logical step seemed to be applying for membership, which I did the same day.

Now to the point of this message. Some self study tips:

• Start reviewing your battles. Record your battles and start reviewing them. Study the ones you did not do well in and try to figure out what you could have done better. Look at the ones you did do well in and try to understand why you did well.

• Watch tutorials on Youtube. Some advanced techniques are best explained in a video.

• I highly recommend watching live streams as well. In particular Quickybaby TV on Twitch. People generally tend to post Youtube videos of battle that went their way, but you cannot control the way a live battle will turn out. One of the most valuable skills is to learn how to (try to) turn a situation around when things are falling apart around you. What does a good player do when the odds are stacking up against him. In addition, QB is an entertaining character to watch, which makes it easy to sit through a session.

• Read guides and other people's opinions on tanks you have just purchased (or are about to purchase). Try to filter through all the different opinions and find the ones that apply to you and your playstyle the best. Some tanks are versatile and can be played in a number of different ways, depending on modules and equiptment, some might just not be your cup of tea.

• When dead, pick a good player that is still alive and watch him/her play.

• When it is not going as well as you would like, try not to get paranoid. The game is not trying to have a go at you. Often times things are actually not as bad as you think they are and it is just a matter of perception. When frustration sets in, relieve stress and take out your favourite seal clubbing tank out for a round or two. If that does not help, just stop playing. Once agitated, you are likely to make the wrong decisions and make matters worse. In addition, your agitation will block the ability to be critical towards your own performance and learn from it.

• Always question your habits and approaches at the game. What you do constantly might not be the best thing to do. Going to the flank where there is less teammates is not always the wisest choice...

• Listen to your teachers Idea

Last edited by nilzatron on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added Ding's suggestion to the post)
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Some pointers on self study from an improving average player. Empty Re: Some pointers on self study from an improving average player.

Post  Ding760 Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:31 am

This is actually a good thread +1

I'd like to add one:

- Always question your habits and approaches at the game. What you do constantly might not be the best thing to do. Going to the flank where there is less teammates is not always the wisest choice...
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Some pointers on self study from an improving average player. Empty Re: Some pointers on self study from an improving average player.

Post  SteelToedSneakers Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 pm

I approve of this thread. It's mostly what I do Smile
SteelToedSneakers
SteelToedSneakers

http://www.kittelsaa.com

Back to top Go down

Some pointers on self study from an improving average player. Empty Some pointers on self study from an improving average player

Post  Sabot_1 Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:55 am

nilzatron wrote:

[*]When it is not going as well as you would like, try not to get paranoid. The game is not trying to have a go at you. Often times things are actually not as bad as you think they are and it is just a matter of perception. When frustration sets in, relieve stress and take out your favourite seal clubbing tank out for a round or two. If that does not help, just stop playing. Once agitated, you are likely to make the wrong decisions and make matters worse. In addition, your agitation will block the ability to be critical towards your own performance and learn from it.

]

Good advice i'll take that and store it, 11 losses on the trot and the screen nearly ended up in the garden.

my question back is how do players get such high ratings consistently when you cannot forsee how the other 14 players are going to perform surely they don't win the battles single handed every time?

any tips more than welcome.
Sabot_1
Sabot_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down