SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Medium tanks

4 posters

Go down

Medium tanks Empty Medium tanks

Post  CountOfTuscany Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Lately I have developed an interest in playing medium tanks, after playing soviet heavies and german TDs. After some mdeium tanks battles under my belt I still don't understand how to play them.
I love it when there are opportunities to flank and attacking enemy tanks from the sides or rear, but often I will ancounter a TD, heavy or medium all along which punishes me for my not so appreciated flanking attempt.

Throughout different battles I tried to use my mobility to change flanks every now and then and help out endangered TDs or SPGs or attempt a decap under a differt angle than the capping enemies would expect. I love this gameplay, but too often I fail...

As a Soviet heavy player and German TD player I have difficulties to adept to the rather low alpha output. The low alpha is often offset by a RoF (think Sherman E8) but I have trouble to fully use this RoF. I think it is OK when circling an enemy heavy, but only when he hasn't someone to cover his back. Peek-a-boo tactics do not really benefit Medium tank play, but I also can't  stay too long in the open because the armor is often poor. Firing on the move tactics can be useful in certain situations, but not on maps with lots of chokepoints. Firing on the move tactics are effective only on certain vehciles: American meds like M4 and M4 E8 are great for firing on the move, German meds like Pz3, Pz3/4 run at 60kph and have an aiming circle as big as the moon (accidently killed a teammate in my Pz3/4 yesterday, trying to kill the leopard circling him). FTR: I dont have played Soviet and Chinese meds yet, I guess their aiming circles will be even bigger...

I like the versatility of the meds, but I am not able to use it to its truth potential. I am interested in lessons on medium gameplay. Basic lessons, but also some intermediate lessons. So far I have especially learned intermediate tricks concerning heavies: angling, sidescraping, barrel-blocking, hull-down. Do we have tricks to this degree for medium tank play?

TLDR: I would love to see some more lessons on medium tank play (basic and advanced lessons).

Edit:
For those who didn't notice: I also have trouble writing short posts Wink 
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Medium tanks Empty Re: Medium tanks

Post  Boos B Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Hey Count,

Contact me anytime when I get back to the game! I am a very active medium player and think I can help you with a thing or 2 Smile.

k.r.
Boos B
Boos B
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Ok BoosB, that would be great!
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:34 pm

What meds in particular you need help with? Basic idea for the meds are the same, but their playstyle differ the most among the tank types.

Panther/E-50 line: 2nd line sniper and support, can hold their own 1 on 1 due to their hp and armour. Best rammers in the game imo.
Leopard line: Fast snipers with awesome penetration. No armour but good gun depression (Indien-Pz and Leo 1). Good accuracy on the move. Can kill anything, can get killed by anything.

Chinese/Soviets: Flankers and brawlers. Low profile, agile, good turrets. Bad accuracy and pen varies a lot. Sometimes good armour.

American: Jack of all trades. Best gun depression across the board. Ok pen, ok damage, ok accuracy. Good gun mantles so hills are your friends. Good accuracy on the move.

British: Cromwell is a really fast med. Comet is a underestimated tank. Bad pen and damage. BUT! Good turret mantle, gun depression, accuracy on the move, rof and mobility. Centurions/FV. Best pen among meds, fast rof, good accuracy on the move, good turrets and gun depression. Slow, but fast acceleration.

French: Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Batchaaat!
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:54 am

Currently I own these meds:

'Muricans
-Sherman E8 (good mobility, high RoF, good DPM, Good depression, meh pen and Alpha)
-Sherman E2 'Jumbo' (If it would equip a bigger gun it could be reclassified as heavy. IMO most armoured tier 6 vehicle)

Germans
-T-25 (looks like it's from outer space, fast like a rocket, good depression, hull/turret traverse is very poor)
-Pz.Kpfw.III/IV (almost top configuration. fast like a rocket, good side armor, it's fast, mobility is decent, it's fast, gun is OKish, Did I mension that the tank is fast?)

I have also played the Pz.Kpfw.IV. Hated the vehicle, couldn't get it work with either 10,5cm or 7,5cm/l48.
I loved the tier 5 M4Sherman, good gun depresion, good mobility, good gun (either 105mm or 76mm). I abused the gun depression on this thing: I would hide behind a hill, peek a shoot, move back, drive 15m away and peek again 15m away.

Very long time ago I played a certain med which is even bigger than it's successor and tissue armor. Yes I'm talking about you T-28. Had some fun with the 8,5cm gun.

I love the 'murican meds for the great mobility, hull down and accuracy on the move. They are not very fast, but I think this is offset by the great mobility. Still have trouble with the high RoF, slower firing guns suit me better I think.
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Post  Moulie Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:10 am

I could do with popping in to any lessons as well. I Love the T-34 and to a lesser degree the T-34-85 (feels a tad sluggish compred to the 34) and have to learn how to play the T-25 properly and the Panther/M10.

Moulie

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:51 am

On the T-25: use it's speed to get to key positions and to get out of trouble fast. use the great gun depression (combined with the front mounted turret). Never rely on your armor. Pre-aim before you swing around corners. If you get flanked: turn vehicle and turret to the new target, not just the turret, since it will take forever before you can get a shot off.
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:33 am

Easy 8 used to be my favourite tier 6 med until the Cromwell came, still a good tank. Never played the Jumbo, but gameplay looks similar to T1 HT.

Never played the T-25 either. PzIII/IV in the other is the tank I got my first Ace on! After a year I still remember that battle, God was I a noob back then... Wait, back then? Who I am I kidding, I still am.

Me and Waspy are planning to do a med class next week. Wink
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:46 am

Vallu01 wrote:
Me and Waspy are planning to do a med class next week. Wink
Ah, that would be great!

I don't know how the T1 plays. I play the Jumbo as a heavy. getting slightly around a corner keeping the front angled, and then start picking of.
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down