SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

KV-4 Guide

5 posters

Go down

KV-4 Guide Empty KV-4 Guide

Post  Ding760 Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 pm

KV-4
-Tier VIII Soviet Heavy Tank-

Stock KV-4:
Spoiler:

Fully upgraded KV-4 with my configuration (almost enough XP to get Safe Stowage with credit retrain!):

Spoiler:

WoT wiki page: http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/KV-4

Notes are marked as [#]. Scroll to the bottom of the guide to read them.

General Information:
Spoiler:

Attributes:
Spoiler:

Review:
Spoiler:

Set-up Tips
Spoiler:

Modules:
Spoiler:

Notes:
Spoiler:

Originally written by Platypusbill
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

KV-4 Guide Empty Re: KV-4 Guide

Post  Ding760 Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 pm

As usual, the oversized picture can be opened in normal size by copying the URL of the image and opening it on a new tab ion the browser.

I regret that most images made for this guide by the original author has its links broken and I was unable to trace it. Hence if there are any parts of the guide that draws on image references I am afraid I do not have it.

Still, this guide is worth a read even without images. A very competent guide writer wrote this and a good KV-4 driver too Smile
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  PointyHairedJedi Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:31 am

Useful stuff. It's one I'm actively aiming for, going from one extreme to another - the AMX 50 100 didn't agree with me at all, however I suspect this will be much more my style.
PointyHairedJedi
PointyHairedJedi
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

https://www.youtube.com/user/PointyHairedJedi

Back to top Go down

Post  ViktorKitov Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:10 am

I wouldnt reccoment this tank to anybody.

Yes the armor is good for tier 8, but there are a few problems problems:

1- Most of my games were filled with Tier 8s and a few Tier 9s. I cant remeber playing as a top tank in Tier 7 game.

2- Retarded amount of weakspots- Lower Plate, Machinegun port, Driver's hatch, The small turret with the 76mm, Turret cheeks, Gun mantlet isnt very thick, No spaced armor anywhere, Tier 10 Guns go through the side armor at ridiculous angles.

3- You get set on fire a lot from side shots and after one fire there is a big chance the next shot will lite you up. The Radio man is dead every 2nd game and the Driver every 3rd. The Loader get killed if you are shot in the mini-turret.

Its garbage.

ViktorKitov
ViktorKitov

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 am

You know...it's odd how I play this tank...but I tend to actually keep off the front lines. Can't say my performance is stellar...but it ain't bad either really.

This replay really exemplifies it. I got top exp on my team (over 1000) in a tier 10 match.

Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  ViktorKitov Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:27 am

Ding760 wrote:You know...it's odd how I play this tank...but I tend to actually keep off the front lines. Can't say my performance is stellar...but it ain't bad either really.

This replay really exemplifies it. I got top exp on my team (over 1000) in a tier 10 match.

A HT that has to guard SPGs is not a HT for me. And since the MM for the KV-4 sucks, most of the time you can only use your DPM and HP, rather then your "armor".

The KV-4 is a prime example of WG failing to deliver an interesting and fun to play tank, only topped by the SU-101.
ViktorKitov
ViktorKitov

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:29 am

KV-4 might not be interesting, but I'd say its decent in terms of balance in comparison to the horror that is URALMASH-1. The front armor is capable of easily withstanding fire from the 175mm pen standard guns of medium tanks and lower tier soviet tanks, even on the lower plate. The tank is extremely long and squared, making it somewhat good at angling (but not too much due to lack of spaced armor). The gun is also more accurate than the other soviet heavy tanks. Its sluggish movement is easy to prey upon though, and its huge size makes it easy prey for types/T-34-2s etc at close ranges. I would suggest to use it as a medium range battler to make use of its gun and useful armor, in terms of "guarding SPG" NO tanks should do that, SPGs are guarded by not having holes in flanks that enemy fast tanks can abuse, once your SPG has been spotted, there's a high chance the enemy SPG is just going to blow them apart anyway, thus sitting with the SPGs = a horrible idea. Besides, if you want to guard SPG at all, one should do it with a fast tank that can quirk enemy tanks way from the sides of SPG, as with a slow tank the enemy fast tank can just use your own SPGs as a shield.

Back to top Go down

Post  PointyHairedJedi Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:39 pm

My record so far has been topped, to 13.1k potential damage received in a battle - I didn't make it out of that one alive, alas, would have been rather nice if I had.

I must admit I'm still not sure which turret to use on it though, the stock turret definitely leaves the tank more mobile and with better acceleration, but there's a small ROF buff and a better viewrange (not to mention better all-round armouring) on the top one.
PointyHairedJedi
PointyHairedJedi
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Platypusbill Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:49 am

ViktorKitov wrote:I wouldnt reccoment this tank to anybody.

1- Most of my games were filled with Tier 8s and a few Tier 9s. I cant remeber playing as a top tank in Tier 7 game.

2- Retarded amount of weakspots- Lower Plate, Machinegun port, Driver's hatch, The small turret with the 76mm, Turret cheeks, Gun mantlet isnt very thick, No spaced armor anywhere, Tier 10 Guns go through the side armor at ridiculous angles.

3- You get set on fire a lot from side shots and after one fire there is a big chance the next shot will lite you up. The Radio man is dead every 2nd game and the Driver every 3rd. The Loader get killed if you are shot in the mini-turret.

Its garbage.

1. It's a tier VIII, no? I'm the top dog quite frequently.

2. The MG port is a tiny target, the rest of the hull can be made to bounce same tier heavies with angling and it's virtually impenetrable while sidescraping. The turret cheeks and tumour can be made hard targets with some distance and/or wiggling action (I do think WG should buff the front of the main turret to 200 though). The mantlet is just 180mm thick, but hitting the area immediately next to the gun (which has nothing behind it) is a PITA, and if you miss, the shot either gets absorbed by the gun or has to deal with the overlap for 300mm armour.

3. I'm pretty sure every tank is subject to losing the radio operator (except for the ones without dedicated radiomen, and TBH, who even cares about that poor fellow Wink) or driver through frontal hits. And very few (if any) tanks have fuel tanks in a hard to reach spot, but the ones on the KV-4 are admittedly pretty huge.

I'm currently on 59% with it, while my recent performance in tier VII+ tanks is around 57%.

Platypusbill

Back to top Go down

Post  MadInAShed Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:31 pm

ViktorKitov wrote:I wouldnt reccoment this tank to anybody.

Its garbage.

This, for me, is one of the oddest tanks in the game. When I had one i would regularly get penned by anything and everyone and yet when I come up against one i struggle to reliably pen it even aiming for either the lower plate, small turret or turret cheeks result in a bounce/non pen. Last night one was sat a t a corner and i struggled with it in my patton due to the bounces and not having enough speed to get round it to be side on (i knew their arty was "guarding" the kv4) and so i just kept pinging off it. Meanwhile the kv4 just sat there and penned me everytime i poked my nose out Sad

I will at some point buy it back as i do want to try the ST1, but for now the KV4 is not my cup of tea!
MadInAShed
MadInAShed

Back to top Go down

Post  ViktorKitov Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm

The only reason you are bouncing is most likely your gun.

If its accurate you wont have problems, otherwise you can bounce them fairly often.
ViktorKitov
ViktorKitov

Back to top Go down

Post  MadInAShed Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Patton top gun, whilst not hugely accurate over distance I am talking from a distance of (taking last night's example) no more than 50 metres. Shoot the turret with the mini guns, nothing, shoot lower front plate...nothing. This is 90 degrees front on and a couple of hits to both each.

didn't help that a king tiger just sat and watched and offered no help at all until i finally managed to get the kv4 down to sub 300hp after a fair few shots, the tiger ii then killed it!
MadInAShed
MadInAShed

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Aim for the turret cheeks at such ranges. The upper MG turret isn't a weakspot at very close ranges due to the nature of how you aim upwards to hit it due to KV-4 being absurdly tall. Flat surfaces on the armor is also a nice go, but flat portions of the turret is what is advisable. The hull is one tough son of a bish.

Back to top Go down

Post  PointyHairedJedi Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:29 pm

For anyone that's interested, I've done a review of this steel behemoth:

I possibly could have covered more, I'm still working on just how much to include in these videos. Hopefully it gives a decent "look and feel" overview, anyway.
PointyHairedJedi
PointyHairedJedi
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down