SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

quick question

5 posters

Go down

quick question  Empty quick question

Post  flash64 Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:22 am

Hiya,

Ehmm, i tracked a KV-1 with my T49. Now additional shots in the track area gave normal damage instead of 0 dam penetrations. So the question is :
Does a broken track still "eat" damage? Or will shots just go through and do damage ?

Cheerio
flash64
flash64

Back to top Go down

quick question  Empty Re: quick question

Post  Ding760 Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 am

It eats damage.
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:34 am

Shooting the tracks and whether it results, in 0 damage penetration, tracking, damage or tracking + damage (axle jam) is very complicated.

0 damage penetrations happen when you either hit the tracks too low and and miss the hull behind them. When you hit high enough, on the part where tanks hull is behind the track, you penetrate the tracks (they work as spaced armour), but not the tanks hull. Or when your gun doesn't have enough damage to destroy the tracks (hp of the tracks is more than whatever the RNG happened to come up with for you shot). 

You can track enemies when you hit the first or the last road wheel (technically a sprocket, but a road wheel is easier to understand) of the tracks. This can be done from the side or from the front. You can also track them by hitting the track itself, but that is more due to luck than skill.

Damaging and tracking at the same time by hitting the axle. Axle, simply put, is the metal rod that links and front wheels (and rear wheels) together and to the engine. The part which you need to hit is the spot where the axle goes inside the tanks hull, that spot has no armour at all, hence it's easy to damage a tank this way. But to hit it you need to go through the road wheel, which in turn tracks the enemy. The spot where you need to shoot depends on the angle you're shooting from, easiest way to hit it is directly from the side. But you should always keep in mind it's the axle where you do the damage and tracking is just a fortunate byproduct.

Just doing damage to tank means you penetrated the tracks, in a spot where you can't track them, and then the enemies side armour, resulting in damage done. The tracks are and everything inside the track links is considered a single module, but you can only break the tracks by hitting the first or last road wheel (sprocket) or the track links. When you hit anything in between they only act as spaced armour. This is why it's useful to aim, in tanks with no additional side armour, above the tracks, to easier penetrate the enemy.

When the tracks are broken (enemy is tracked) tracks have no hp, meaning it's easier to damage the tank instead of wasting your shots in the tracks.

Without seeing where you hit the enemy it's hard to say which of the above happened, but I hope this helped you to make your own conclusions.
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  flash64 Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:37 am

hiya,

Shame , must have been lucky then with those shots getting through.
I will not be counting on that the next time Wink

Thanks for explaining that Vallu ,I was at 90 degrees and hitting that KV in the side in the track area.
I was waiting for a 0 dam pen so i decided to shoot the turret and promptly bounced.
I have a replay .
Need to find out how to link that.

http://wotreplays.com/site/225369#arctic_region-flash64-t49

I was not paying attention and took the wrong turn in the beginning Razz

Thanks

Cheerio
flash64
flash64

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:21 am

Your shots went in to the middle of the tracks while the tracks were broken, basically you only had to pen the side armour.

Couple of unrelated tips though.

Don't shoot the KV-1 in the turret 110 amrour all around, hull is always easier to pen, unless extremely angled.

Repair your gun always, especially in a TD. Unless you have something more important to repair, but gun almost always the most important one.
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  vorlontank Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:15 pm

just to add, in 8.6 you will be rewarded for tracking a tank which is then subsequently damaged, assist damage i think its going to be called, the same as spotting does now.
always worth learning to track an enemy, hopefully he'll use his repair pack, and then you do it again!

vorlontank

Back to top Go down

Post  Inorien Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 pm

vorlontank wrote:just to add, in 8.6 you will be rewarded for tracking a tank which is then subsequently damaged, assist damage i think its going to be called, the same as spotting does now.
always worth learning to track an enemy, hopefully he'll use his repair pack, and then you do it again!

I believe you're also going to get xp for maintaining track damage to enemy tanks, and for maintaining the spot. So say someone else spots an enemy, you drive into spotting range, then the initial spotter fucks off dies or is otherwise unable to see the enemy, you'll get xp for keeping the enemy on-grid for your team. I think, anyway. I'm pretty sure thats how it was explained.

Also, another thing to add. You may already know this but I'll put it out there for people who don't. Using High-Explosive (HE) shells on tracks is extremely effective. With AP or APCR, the only real way to track an enemy is shooting the front/back axle from the side or front, which when done at range or on a fast-moving target is pretty hard. If you load HE, you create a larger splash which deals more damage - as a result, shooting even the direct side of the tracks themselves often destroys them. Note that you should avoid using HE directly on tank armour, as HE penetration values are very low and you are unlikely to do much damage.

heh..ehehheheh. penetration. quick question  2bkoytA
Inorien
Inorien

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down