SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Friday 22nd March Lesson from 19:00 Basic Heavy

+5
SteelToedSneakers
PointyHairedJedi
teerav
CountOfTuscany
Rancidpunk
9 posters

SGTA :: Academy :: Lessons

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Friday 22nd March Lesson from 19:00 Basic Heavy Empty Friday 22nd March Lesson from 19:00 Basic Heavy

Post  Rancidpunk Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:50 pm

I'll be giving my first lesson on Friday and in the absence of any ideas what to go for plus the fact that I can't remember which ones Vallu said not to do I'll gladly accept suggestions.

Bear in mind that I have now sold all my meds and lights and my winrate and efficiency has rocketed which would indicate that I might not be the best person to teach those classes of vehicle as I obviously suck at them.

Arty and heavies then, so suggest away(from the syllabus)!

Edit - Basic heavy it is!

Last edited by Rancidpunk on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Friday 22nd March Lesson from 19:00 Basic Heavy Empty Re: Friday 22nd March Lesson from 19:00 Basic Heavy

Post  CountOfTuscany Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:18 am

Hi Rancid. I am probably available friday night. I don't have much heavy vehicle's in garage (KV-1s, KV-2, Jagdtiger 8.8, sherman Jumbo). Had KV and KV-3 in the past but sold them, apperently heavies are not my favorite type of tank Smile . What iIcan remember from my time with the KV-3 was the trouble I had with postioning (reaching a good spot to attack from). This was partly because of poor mobility, but also lack of clue to get to what flank on the battlefield.
Now I wonder: Is this something that can be learned by training? Or only be playing countless battles?

CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Friday 22nd March Lesson from 19:00 Basic Heavy Empty Re: Friday 22nd March Lesson from 19:00 Basic Heavy

Post  Rancidpunk Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:43 am

Hi Count, if you fancy it I'll run a heavy basic course at 1900 and after I'll platoon with you in your heavies to have some practical fun Smile

Generally in heavies I can be a bit over aggressive, a fault I'm working on but it does tend to produce my best results.
I'm a huge fan of heavy assault tanks that can get in close and take a few hits on the way, I have noticed a lot that drivers of these big lumps tend to forget that they are designed to go head on with the enemy and hence do the natural thing and turn away from the enemy when they spot them. This results in exposing their flanks and with unfailing regularity they will then stop to aim at the enemy too, game over!

I know when you advance there is a fair chance you'll see more than one enemy and the big thing is not to stop!

When I advance this would be a typical scenario in my KV5, once I feel the time is right I do this;

Step 1. Point tank at enemy, load HE, engage cruise control full speed, (it will stay on even if you are tracked) and advance.

Step 2. Spot first enemy, reduce cruise speed to one notch(you lose 75% aim at full speed, 50% at two notches, 25% at one notch) fire at ANY enemy using auto aim, even last known position, cruise control back to full speed and start tapping left and right gently to swerve side to side, no more than +/- 5 degrees off your attack line (you will bounce a lot) until you are reloaded. If you remember try and move your turret opposite to tank too!

Step 3. Repeat step 2 until you are close enough to switch to AP and start brawling.

Step 4. Once you are on them try and get one enemy between you and the rest, even better if it's one you can kill easily to provide a barrier and if you've made it this far you'll be in a position to slug it out.

This is a very basic tactic I know, it's devastating if it works but on the flipside it can go spectacularly wrong Laughing

Most real heavies can work this way and some excel at it but it does all depend on the MM, terrain and a million other little things I suppose that can only be picked up through practice on the different maps.

Anyway, enough waffle and I'll hopefully see you and few more heavies on Friday for some training fun!

Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 am

a Basic Heavy course - sounds great!

I have never driven a heavy like you described. Sounds like an interesting technic! What vehicle should I take to lesson friday? I have a KV-1s and a stock jumbo. KV-2 is not so much a heavy (rather direct fire spg) and Jagdtiger 8.8 is a TD (can do bum-rush sometimes).

Last edited by CountOfTuscany on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : e8 --> jumbo)
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Post  teerav Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:45 am

Rancidpunk wrote:

Generally in heavies I can be a bit over aggressive, a fault I'm working on but it does tend to produce my best results.
I'm a huge fan of heavy assault tanks that can get in close and take a few hits on the way, I have noticed a lot that drivers of these big lumps tend to forget that they are designed to go head on with the enemy and hence do the natural thing and turn away from the enemy when they spot them. This results in exposing their flanks and with unfailing regularity they will then stop to aim at the enemy too, game over!

hey rancid if i am at home on time for this ill defo be there ( meaning i wont get home at 4 and fall asleep until 8 like last Friday and miss the lesson) haha xD this sounds like it will be perfect for me as one of if not my favorite type is a heavy tank that can take good damage and go brawling. i have churchill VII, KV-1S which i am currently working on and i dont know if you have any experience with Churchill III but i know i need abit of help as i got one today and already know im not doing as good as i should be or can be mainly with the gun work. Also just to add im going to guess im not the only one that thinks this when im the lower tier heavy in a higher tier battle on a camping map, and end up being the front line attacking wave rather than the second wave because the front line attacking higher T heavys are all camping. (it realy gets on my tits in a polite way) also love it how a lot of the time i out damaged them with the 85mm in my kv-1 Very Happy anyway im sometimes like you and end up going that bit too far and well no other way to say thing but right into the enemy's trap Very Happy the lesson sounds fun and if there is room for a 3rd in this toon it sounds like it will be a good laugh and teach us a few tricks as well Very Happy
looking forward to it, thanks

teerav

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am

CountOfTuscany wrote:a Basic Heavy course - sounds great!

I have never driven a heavy like you described. Sounds like an interesting technic! What vehicle should I take to lesson friday? I have a KV-1s and a stock jumbo. KV-2 is not so much a heavy (rather direct fire spg) and Jagdtiger 8.8 is a TD (can do bum-rush sometimes).

Take the KV2, I'll take my T150 both brilliant Smile

Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 am

teerav wrote:
Rancidpunk wrote:

hey rancid if i am at home on time for this ill defo be there ( meaning i wont get home at 4 and fall asleep until 8 like last Friday and miss the lesson) haha xD this sounds like it will be perfect for me as one of if not my favorite type is a heavy tank that can take good damage and go brawling. i have churchill VII, KV-1S which i am currently working on and i dont know if you have any experience with Churchill III but i know i need abit of help as i got one today and already know im not doing as good as i should be or can be mainly with the gun work. Also just to add im going to guess im not the only one that thinks this when im the lower tier heavy in a higher tier battle on a camping map, and end up being the front line attacking wave rather than the second wave because the front line attacking higher T heavys are all camping. (it realy gets on my tits in a polite way) also love it how a lot of the time i out damaged them with the 85mm in my kv-1 Very Happy anyway im sometimes like you and end up going that bit too far and well no other way to say thing but right into the enemy's trap Very Happy the lesson sounds fun and if there is room for a 3rd in this toon it sounds like it will be a good laugh and teach us a few tricks as well Very Happy
looking forward to it, thanks

Take your Churchill VII then we have a good platoon for afterwards with the T150 and KV2 Heavy Metal Rules! Smile

We can switch to the Churchill III when we platoon, it's awesome in a basic way with a machine gun for a gun and perfect up close.

If I'm the lowest tier heavy I always work on the principle that if I snipe I can barely damage the enemy and they can screw me so I might as well get close even if it just provides them with a distraction that the rest of my team can take advantage of, mostly they don't of course but it's so boring camping and waiting for the inevitable to happen!

See you Friday.
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  PointyHairedJedi Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:49 pm

If I'm around, I'll be there. Generally my favourite variety of tanks, the heavies.
PointyHairedJedi
PointyHairedJedi
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

https://www.youtube.com/user/PointyHairedJedi

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelToedSneakers Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Yeah, if I'm able to, I'll be there in my KV-1S!
SteelToedSneakers
SteelToedSneakers

http://www.kittelsaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:23 am

If we get enough of us after I've gone through the basics on the syllabus I'll split us into two teams for a bit of advance and brawl fun.

Only take basic HE shells for this and we can all live a bit longer and learn a little bit more hopefully! Although I could always spice it up a bit and take a big gun to shoot anyone who stops to aim during the advance Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueMoon51 Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:47 am

I look forward to being there!
BlueMoon51
BlueMoon51

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:18 am

Rancidpunk wrote:
Only take basic HE shells for this and we can all live a bit longer and learn a little bit more hopefully! Although I could always spice it up a bit and take a big gun to shoot anyone who stops to aim during the advance Smile

KV-2 + HE shells= fire, death crew, blown modules Razz
I'm considering to pick my kv-1s instead of the KV-2, since the latter hasn't got that great armor (OK, 1s als doesn't) and takes aaaages to reload. Besides I will never lead I charge with it. I would rather lead a charge in the 1s.
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:42 am

CountOfTuscany wrote:
Rancidpunk wrote:

KV-2 + HE shells= fire, death crew, blown modules Razz
I'm considering to pick my kv-1s instead of the KV-2, since the latter hasn't got that great armor (OK, 1s als doesn't) and takes aaaages to reload. Besides I will never lead I charge with it. I would rather lead a charge in the 1s.

Good point, KV2 Derp wouldn't help us live longer!
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  teerav Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:34 am

good at sniping from the back though Razz just got the 122mm D-2-5T for my 1s and my god! that thing is powerful >.< all i need now is the engine and hes all done until i elite Very Happy

teerav

Back to top Go down

Post  SgtBarnes75 Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:33 am

Hi
I would like to come along but I wont be on until about 8pm. Do you think you will still be on ?

Cheers!
Mark
SgtBarnes75
SgtBarnes75

http://www.northwestnutters.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:22 am

SgtBarnes75 wrote:Hi
I would like to come along but I wont be on until about 8pm. Do you think you will still be on ?

Cheers!
Mark

Probably not but have a look and see if we are Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorritakid Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:33 am

I'll be there (most likely, might be late).

Gorritakid

Back to top Go down

Post  PointyHairedJedi Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:46 am

I'm going to be out of the game all weekend at least, as it turns out; I've put some new hardware into my PC, but the Windows installation disk appears to be borked, so no WoT for me...

(Running Linux from a USB stick is... odd, to say the least.)
PointyHairedJedi
PointyHairedJedi
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

https://www.youtube.com/user/PointyHairedJedi

Back to top Go down

Post  lostplace Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:23 am

I'll be there as well. Heavies are often expected to do their job in the city parts of a map, which is for me an unclear tricky environment because it happens easily to get into crossfire or being flanked. So as a suggestion, it would be interesting to see how you are usually advancing in the cities, e.g. examples on some maps or where a platoon could take position to control parts of a city or set up a trap to catch enemies by crossfire.

lostplace

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 am

lostplace wrote:I'll be there as well. Heavies are often expected to do their job in the city parts of a map, which is for me an unclear tricky environment because it happens easily to get into crossfire or being flanked. So as a suggestion, it would be interesting to see how you are usually advancing in the cities, e.g. examples on some maps or where a platoon could take position to control parts of a city or set up a trap to catch enemies by crossfire.

I'll be concentrating on basic heavy use but we'll maybe pick a city map for a fight afterwards Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:03 am

I'm busy with some study report I have to hand in tonight. I'll probably join you later on.... (I trust that is ok)
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:45 am

Just a thank you to all the guys that came to the session tonight, I'll get better the more I do and I'm sorry if I got a bit side tracked at stages! Cheers guys, Rancid
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelToedSneakers Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:26 am

No worries Rancid! You did a good job Smile

I'm going to try the cruise control shooting next time I'm in a battle with my heavy. If I mess it up I'm going to nag you until we go together (or to a training room), because I think it might be a very good tactic if I get it right.
SteelToedSneakers
SteelToedSneakers

http://www.kittelsaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:33 pm

SteelToedSneakers wrote:No worries Rancid! You did a good job Smile

I'm going to try the cruise control shooting next time I'm in a battle with my heavy. If I mess it up I'm going to nag you until we go together (or to a training room), because I think it might be a very good tactic if I get it right.

Heavy platoon this evening if you are about Steel?

The reason I learnt this was it's always bugged me that controlling the tank with W or S doesn't let you actually control your speed, full speed ahead or backwards is bugger all use if you want to use the advantage of firing on the move at 50% shot dispersion.

As with any plan, as soon as you set off it usually changes but even if you are just moving from cover to cover it can be nice to land a shot on the move and even if you miss it still shakes their tank, kicks up dirt, makes a bang and might just cause them to miss you Smile

Last edited by Rancidpunk on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SgtBarnes75 Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone has a replay I could watch. I missed it unfortunately.

Cheers!
Mark
SgtBarnes75
SgtBarnes75

http://www.northwestnutters.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next