SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Looking for some advice

+5
ChielScape
Bayart
Sapaki
CountOfTuscany
Pherion
9 posters

Go down

Looking for some advice Empty Looking for some advice

Post  Pherion Sat May 25, 2013 10:48 pm

I joined this academy in hopes that it might resurrect my interests for World Of Tanks by learning new things and becoming better. And I do like the academy, the people seem awesome and I went to a lesson and I learned a couple of things and had fun.

But I don't come online. Every time I go online and look at my garage I just close the game again. I feel demotivated. But I didn't wanted to quit, I wasted so much money on this game already, I would at least want to have one tier 10 before I left the game.

Maybe someone could get me motivated again. I just didn't really wanted to quit the game, but I'm not having much joy with it anyway.

Pherion

Back to top Go down

Looking for some advice Empty Re: Looking for some advice

Post  CountOfTuscany Sat May 25, 2013 11:20 pm

for me personally I don't think getting a tier 10 tank wont make me happy. I won't go any further than tier 8 tanks.
Important thing for me: play tanks that are fun. Also, get tanks that are used in TC. Maybe platoon some more.

these are some tanks regarded as fun:
- M18 Hellcat. Also used in medium TC. it's predessessors m8a1 and t49 are also fun to play.
- KV-1s. Always used in medium TC. Also often used in platoons I think.
- KV-2. DERP, nothing more to say, it's absolute fun

Some other tanks that are nice:
- Jagdpanther. great sniper. good mobility
- Stug III. great camo, good gun, decent mobility. (I didn't like it, everyone else does)
- T49. mobile machinegun (76mm gun @ 20 rpm)
- M8a1. skirmisher. turret, mobility, fast firing gun (57mm or 75mm)
- M4 Sherman. Whether you pick the 76mm or the 105mm derp, it performs really good. mobile, good gun depression.
- KV-1. Didn't play it much after the KV split (KV--> KV-1 & KV-2), but it armor bounces a good deal. Good tank if you want to go up front bouncing stuff.
- M4a3e2 'Jumbo'. meh guns at tier 6 and it's heavy-like mobility, but that armor, that armor...

try to find some interesting tanks to play and play them to the max, I think you will have more fun in playing the game.
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Sat May 25, 2013 11:31 pm

Sooner or later the game repeats itself over and over again. I mean how many random battles one would want to play over and over again? And if you get stuck in a difficult grind it only gets worse! BUT there is a BUT and there is your hint:

It is not about why or what you play it is all about who you play it with. Find some mates in the clan ( I am sure you will find 5-6 guys you have fun with) and make toons with them. Soon you will notice that you will not be here for the game, you will be here to have fun with your mates.

Once you are into this mood, you will not be "grinding" anymore, you will be having fun. Me and my mates here (Vallu, Wasp, Vampir, Boosb only to name a few) spend as much time in battles as we spend telling stupid jokes or having any kind of entertaining (or not so entertaining) conversation. I know you will tell me that none of the people I mentioned has anything remotely resembling to a sense of humor, but we can't have everything now can we?

My point is that since I am having fun with those people who are deprived of a sense of humor, imagine all the fun you would have if you where to hook up with normal people in the clan.

Hope this helps!

Oh yes and I am available for toon (Tiers 7-8 or lower) most of the times you see me ingame so don't hesitate.

O yes, number2, it is 1000 times better when you join TS and you can actually talk nonsense with your friends than merely writing in the chat.
Sapaki
Sapaki
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself

Back to top Go down

Post  Pherion Sun May 26, 2013 2:44 am

Thank you for the advice. One of the things that might be a problem is that I've never played an online game like this. I have only played MMORPG, which the important part of it is "The Journey" up to end game content. I don't fairly like all that much the end game, just PvP most of the times. I enjoy the beginning and the journey to big. World Of Tanks doesn't seem to have that. There is no moments like: "We killed that big boss with crappy stuff and was nearly impossible, but we did it!" or "Those guys once tried to kill me, let's do some payback!". These moments don't exist in this game. You're just driving a tank shooting other tank completely oblivious to everything and everyone.

Like you said, I should find things I like to play with. But what then? Eternally tier 6 killing the same tanks, on the same maps, dozens of times per day? There is no sense of progression or advancement or accomplishment, just a tank killing other tanks. In the end there isn't allot of positive things about the game.

You said trying to meet new people to play with. But then I'm just doing this "chore" this "task" for being with other people. :\
Even if I find people that I can hang out with(Which I surely would find), I would not remember the game or anything about it, but more the people that I played with it. Not that's a bad thing, but I would like that the game minimally meant something for me in sometime of my life.

I started playing this game when it came out. Right after a month of it, with a friend. All this time with over 6000 battles going up to most tier 7 tanks in the game an even tier 8 ones, I feel as worthless as the first day I started playing. I have horrible stats, no clans want me for global map, I nearly hate all tanks in the game, except the panther and panther 2, but even those I feel like selling. Why?

I can't stand tanks with weakness. Here it is again. In online games I've played, I could always get rid of my weakness, or atleast minimize it while enforcing my strong points. In World Of Tanks, if the tank has a problem, it's always going to be there. A few examples:

-My panther 2, I love the accuracy, the damage is alright with the top gun, but he has no armor, stupid engine is at front, I can't hide. Why can't I fix or atleast minimize these things? Very annoying.

-IS, sure, bloody great gun, loads of damage, to bad it can't hit a Maus right infront of it because of it's terrible accuracy, not to mention the bounces on enemy tanks with 1hp left, but the armor is alright. Still annoying tank.

-AMX50 100, fast, agile, powerful gun. Seems good, but loading the gun might take an entire match and there i no armor, might as well place the gun on infantry and let them run around and shoot with it....

See? The list goes on and on. And you can't fix them! This is specially frustrating! Although, I enjoy arty, specially french arty, accurate, fast firing and movable arty. I like being able to deal soo much damage without being noticed, all the other stats dont matter. Only thing that matters is the gun, and they have it right. Arty is the only enjoyable thing in this game for me. Being able to deal 1000dmg or even instant kills gives a special type of pleasure. Something no other vehicle can give me.

And there is the grind...this is has to be the most awful type of grind I've seen in any game. Why on Earth do you need 160k, 200k or even 300k exp for unlocking a tank. I look at those numbers and I feel like deleting the game for wasting my good time.

I hate grinding and I hate farming, probably the most awful game mechanic ever created. But why I like MMORPG? Simple, I play the non grind ones heavy on role playing, on party and group related things. I don't play most of those mmos which are all about killing monster racing to top gear to go on pvp frenzy. I don't even like pvp...

But, I could buy a tier 6 tank, max it out, go to every lesson, and every TC. But that's what it would be really. I wouldn't come on because I love the game, but because that there is going to be an interesting group event that I would like to participate.

I'm sorry if I sound depressive, and am being a terrible nuisance, but I thought you should know why I haven't been very active on the academy.

Pherion

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayart Sun May 26, 2013 3:29 am

Pherion wrote:
I'm sorry if I sound depressive, and am being a terrible nuisance, but I thought you should know why I haven't been very active on the academy.

I get you, being extremely ill-tempered (my unrestrained yelling when I'm tired and on edge must have pissed off more than one here) and depressed by nature I tend to either rage-quit a lot on this game or to just avoid playing it because of the no-fun-allowed aspects of it. The only thing that makes is valuable in any way is platooning (or TC and CW to an extent). Having a good streak with good team mate is just fun. It just feels right. Streaks of potato-brained random key-hitters in random games playing solo just feel wrong and wasteful. Honestly I prefer not to play at all than playing alone these days.
Bayart
Bayart

Back to top Go down

Post  ChielScape Sun May 26, 2013 7:29 am

It's known to us all, that problem. Don't worry about it.
ChielScape
ChielScape

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuikaita Sun May 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Hello everyone, my first post since joining the waiting list, so I hope its ok to comment.
Hi Pherion

I have also gone through stages similar to yourself, I have stopped playing for months on end and even logged in only to exit without playing a game.
The way I have dealt with the frustrations felt by many in the game, due to either the game mechanics or very poor players, is to focus more on what I enjoy. Similar to yourself I really enjoy doing damage. It gives me the most satisfaction out of any stat, similar to say a dps class raiding in a game like wow. I play all tiers and types of tanks but when I feel frustrated i jump on my german td's. I have researched the full line and only need to grind the 6.5 million for the tier 10 now. On my Jagdtiger I could play all day everyday,once you have mastered the Jag it is,for me, a joy to play. I don't focus on getting kills, I just focus on max dmg to as many tanks as possible. Therefore if there is a 5 % med I can take out or a 100% heavy I go for the heavy everytime. I let another tank kill the 5% as i'm trying to max my dmg for every shell. There are also some really fun German TD's throughout the tree and I find it makes the grinding xp alot easier.
Looking at your WOT profile you already have the tier 6 german td, stick with it, the Ferdinand is a pure killing/ dmg machine for me and I often go on it just for fun.

Hope this was of some help,and hopefully I will be able to platoon with you in the future so stick with it.
Cheers T

p.s. what other mmo's have you played?

Tuikaita

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayart Sun May 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Tuikaita wrote:
I have also gone through stages similar to yourself, I have stopped playing for months on end and even logged in only to exit without playing a game.
I've stopped playing for one year Smile Funny thing is, I really had shitty stats and for some reason I started being a good player after coming back to WoT.

Tuikaita wrote:It gives me the most satisfaction out of any stat, similar to say a dps class raiding in a game like wow.
Let me guess : you were a hunter for years and started WoT by playing what you could relate to : a German TD (range DPS, high DPM etc.). I did the same.

Tuikaita wrote:There are also some really fun German TD's throughout the tree and I find it makes the grinding xp alot easier.
Yes and no. I mean when I started playing the Marder II was still a good tank. And that line has the JagPz IV as well as the grind to the top gun on the Ferdi / JPII.
But yeah, having the opportunity to play the StuG III, the JPII or the JT is worth it.

Tuikaita wrote:
Looking at your WOT profile you already have the tier 6 german td, stick with it, the Ferdinand is a pure killing/ dmg machine for me and I often go on it just for fun.
I've tried the Ferdi on my brother's account (who's got the whole German TD line) and I preferred to take the JPII for myself : mobility is better than a big frontal armor plate IMO.
Bayart
Bayart

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuikaita Sun May 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Haha good assumption but my main was a fury warrior that I was raid leader on, so more attuned to an american heavy than a TD.
I find the real challenge on a slow td is positional awareness, being in the right place at the right time, for both defence and offence.
Knowing the terrain and the opponent's strength is the main challenge on my Jagdtiger. Keeping an eye on the mini map and anticipating where I will be able to do most good is essential imo.
Sometimes I find myself out of position and unable to influence the game but when I am in the right position and have guessed right,the Jag can just destroy teams. The satisfaction I get from this is what keeps my keyboard in one piece.

Tuikaita

Back to top Go down

Post  Pherion Sun May 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Thank you for all the responses. They help allot. I will probably come online soon to give a few shots at it.

Tuikaita. I played Ultima Online, Runescape, Istaria, Cabal Online, Lineage 2(old chronicles) and some others. The ones I enjoyed the most were Runescape, Istaria and Lineage 2

Pherion

Back to top Go down

Post  Daeworn Mon May 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Well WoT is a MMO and as any MMO, its power comes from time you spend with people there. When you start, everything is new, a lot of fun comes directly from content of the game, but WoT does not have much content to explore and after many, many, many battles it becomes boring as hell (especially on losing strike). Then come two options, take a break to acquire the fresh feeling when you come back or find friends to play with. Frankly, I think, I spend hundreds of hours in "wow" only because people I met there, otherwise its dull boring game, with new grinding every year Wink

Daeworn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pherion Mon May 27, 2013 9:05 pm

Daeworn wrote:Well WoT is a MMO and as any MMO, its power comes from time you spend with people there. When you start, everything is new, a lot of fun comes directly from content of the game, but WoT does not have much content to explore and after many, many, many battles it becomes boring as hell (especially on losing strike). Then come two options, take a break to acquire the fresh feeling when you come back or find friends to play with. Frankly, I think, I spend hundreds of hours in "wow" only because people I met there, otherwise its dull boring game, with new grinding every year Wink

That's why I don't like WoW. I know this is an MMO, but not RPG, therefore lacking many things that interests me in games. Specially when it comes to online games. And you forgot one option, Leave the game. Which still seems like a viable outcome to me.

But meh, I'll go today's lesson and see how it goes.

Pherion

Back to top Go down

Post  Daeworn Tue May 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Pherion wrote:
Daeworn wrote:sparing text

That's why I don't like WoW. I know this is an MMO, but not RPG, therefore lacking many things that interests me in games. Specially when it comes to online games. And you forgot one option, Leave the game. Which still seems like a viable outcome to me.

But meh, I'll go today's lesson and see how it goes.

I did not Wink ... your leave option is in mine "take a break to acquire the fresh feeling when you come back" option, I personally did this about 3times with wow, 3times with EVE, a few times with other MMO ... simply I play games to have fun, if I do not have fun from game content or from playing with people there, I take a break from boring game and try something else.

Daeworn

Back to top Go down

Post  Shufuni Tue May 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Lots of advice being given to you here, all of it well meant and we can all understand the ups and downs of this game because we all have them.

Ultimately it is your decision what you do, however from what I have read you seem to have reached your fun quota with this game, which in my world, tells me it is time to find something else. I have played many browser games like Travian, Grepolis and many more of its ilk and at the point where the game felt more like a chore than fun I would take a break for a few days, before coming back to it again. If it still felt like a chore at that point I would sack it.

Not much else I can add really.
Shufuni
Shufuni

Back to top Go down

Post  Pherion Wed May 29, 2013 6:14 am

Well, yesterday I went to a lesson about maps knowledge, and I didn't completely finished it because I had to leave. Although, I learned a couple of things there, it did not revive my joy for the game. I occasionally go there, do a battle or 2, depends how well goes the first battle. But I leave quickly.

I refuse to pay any more or give any money to World Of Tanks. And playing with the panther 2 drains my wallet, however, I have my lorr 155 50 which fills it, and gives me the most satisfying battles. I think my problem is that I don't really like "Tanks", I like Arty. I tried all types, I keep getting massacred. I might take 3 or 4 kills but I get massacred any way. They annoy me. Their slow, or poorly armoured or terrible gun. Always something wrong with the damn things. At least arty only needs a good gun to be fun, and that they all have it. It's really all of matter of tastes on what you want the most from them. To me, rate of fire is crucial, or accuracy.

I've read all these comments and thank you for all you're advice. Shufuni, I might have reached my fun quota with this game. But the gameplay is addictive, I enjoy the game mechanics, but I don't enjoy the game itself.

So, I'll keep playing occasionally, but not much. If anyone sees me online, you can contact me for some platoon time I guess.

Pherion

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 Wed May 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Pherion wrote:Well, yesterday I went to a lesson about maps knowledge, and I didn't completely finished it because I had to leave. Although, I learned a couple of things there, it did not revive my joy for the game. I occasionally go there, do a battle or 2, depends how well goes the first battle. But I leave quickly.

I refuse to pay any more or give any money to World Of Tanks. And playing with the panther 2 drains my wallet, however, I have my lorr 155 50 which fills it, and gives me the most satisfying battles. I think my problem is that I don't really like "Tanks", I like Arty. I tried all types, I keep getting massacred. I might take 3 or 4 kills but I get massacred any way. They annoy me. Their slow, or poorly armoured or terrible gun. Always something wrong with the damn things. At least arty only needs a good gun to be fun, and that they all have it. It's really all of matter of tastes on what you want the most from them. To me, rate of fire is crucial, or accuracy.

I've read all these comments and thank you for all you're advice. Shufuni, I might have reached my fun quota with this game. But the gameplay is addictive, I enjoy the game mechanics, but I don't enjoy the game itself.

So, I'll keep playing occasionally, but not much. If anyone sees me online, you can contact me for some platoon time I guess.

Any thought about taking lessons? Because since you're playing occasionally will you invest the time to attend lessons?
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  Pherion Wed May 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Yes, I will keep attending lessons when I can.

Pherion

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Thu May 30, 2013 12:09 am

Poke me next time I'm online and we can go arty trolling.

Trolling with arty is much more fun in a platoon, ask Bayart Smile
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum