SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

prowess and skill.

4 posters

Go down

prowess and skill. Empty prowess and skill.

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:21 am

Hello.

I spent today playing 15 games and then visited the WOT forums to read about skill, efficiency win rate etc etc.

I decided to do this to try and understand why my stats and many others are well above the normal scope.

I have complied below a list of things that I thin are the  reasons I am doing well so far in this game with the purpose being to help others to assess their own circumstances and perhaps gain from it

not in any particular order....

1. Research: I spend approx 50/50 time researching and playing. For every hour of battles I spend an hour reading, watching and experimenting. As with anything in life a good knowledge of theory is key for optimizing practical application.

2. Practise : I spent a few hundred games on low tiers on a friends account before I decided to commit to this game ( not with purpose of increasing my chances but simply because I had never heard of it and am always cautious about committing to anything.

3. spending money: Yes thats right I have spent gold on free xp and used this to buy new guns rather than play the vehicle to gain them. This is not in my case a means to a higher win rate but because I simply could not wait... after reading forums it seems using this tactic has some distinct advantages on certain lines later on in the game ( although it may be expensive at later tiers). I also make sure I carry gold ammo on every tank. Between 5 and 10 rounds dependant on the tank( I am not worried about using them despite the abuse from tier 8's I get in my KV1S) I see not using gold ammo as not bothering to chalk your cue whilst playing snooker...

4. Optimize your play time: i rarely spend more than 3 hours playing.. after this time my concentration and ability level falls.. I also take short breaks often.. maybe 3 or 4 games then a rest. This ensures your mind and body is well rested and you are at your peak.

5. fit .: not sure how to word this... I walk alot of miles each week and I hunt and row my kayak allot.. I not an athlete but I am reasonably fit and active. Anyone else who is can confirm that a fit body means a focused mind. Its no use staring at TV all day then playing video games.. your mind will be mush!

6. IQ: probably going to sound egotistical here but regardless... My IQ is well above average and I work in an area that requires my mind to be sharp.. this ties in with number 5.. focused mind and body... = win.

7: Hardware: optimize your PC .. get a good comfortable mouse with DPI settings, optimize your display settings for your GPU. Also I found after some research that putting foliage level to lowest and removing many effetcs makes shooting and tracking enemies alot easier... I have all on max it still looks good but I removed some things to help.

Perhaps some of you can apply some of this or make some changes outside of the practical application and in game learning of WOT itself. I hope to increase my success through continued application of all of the above coupled with knowledge and experience gained from SGTA and its members.

I will attempt to sum this data up...

Play little and often. Sharpen your mind it is your greatest asset on the field of battle.

edit** added number 7!!
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

prowess and skill. Empty Re: prowess and skill.

Post  RoninRage Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:56 am

Hi!

Good job so far. I am far away from your great stats but I possibly got 2 things to add for point 3:
1.) 100% Crews from the beginning help a lot (in my opinion) ... tip: buy tanks even without crew when you unlocked them and want to play them in the future and wait till crew training/retraining is on sale => retrain or buy the crew for the new tank.
2.) Premium tank for crew training: It helps to have a premium tank of the nation and tank class your grinding.
As a example: I got a VK 16.01 Leopard I did not use it often so far because i trained the crew for it in T-15 and Pz Kpfw 38h.
Why? Well because of this i got a commander with 6th sense and 54% camo value for it which helps when starting to play a scout tank. This also applies to other tank classes.
BEWARE some of the premiums have weird crew member distribution. So have a look at the wiki to see which fits best.
Another warning: premium tanks are always harder to play then their normal counterparts due to limitations also could be seen in the wot wiki. So before spending money look at it, talk to academy members who own them about their opinion possibly someone is willing to show how the tank performs in a platoon or training room, do some research on youtube, and so on.

Greetz
Ronin

Last edited by RoninRage on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ... damn should stop writting forum posts while in meetings on the tablet.... mistake found...)
RoninRage
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  BadGene616 Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:36 am

Arnold Judas Rimmer?

Arnold Judas RINGER more like Very Happy 

I totally agree with the taking short breaks.  If you are not enjoying it, walk away for the night.

I also add three things to the mix....

1)  Platoon with people you can learn from.

2)  Patience.  Don't race to your death in a fast tank.  Learn to be an opportunist.

3)  Use the minimap.  Make it BIG.

One last thing I'd throw in - try out arty for a bit - that top down view watching engagements between good players taught me quite a bit.

On premium tanks - pick the one with the best gun.  Damage = credits.

PS - I've been playing vanilla since 8.6 - mods can be nice, but don't rely on them.

BadGene616

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:52 am

Ronin rage has a good point. I asked in chat today about optimizing crew training. I have hellcat unlocked with wolverine crew at 91%. I will use this weekend crew training bonus to get them well passed 100% then use the bonus on crew re training to retrain for hellcat. no way I want to play with a poor crew.. i did that on the stuart and it was not fun. The lesson to be learnt is to optimize and make efficient your crews. also the minimap... i have mine covering 1/6th of my screen after watching some guides online bigger is better for me.

Also badgene.. platoons.. not something ive made much use of thus far however when I have been playing with you SGTA guys and some randoms fellows who invited me to their clan platoons and tank companies I found it helped allot.. a hell of allot.

arty... I am wondering where would be a good place to start? any suggestions??? I played the french batchat arty on the test server.. was fun but i felt a little helpless.

I think the key thing is that thee are many ways to maximise your potential.
I would say I am amongst a minority in that I am not only prepared but happy to spend as much time learning as I do playing.

I also have to say that I have played many games over the years and been involved with many communities and the SGTA is by far the most convivial.

I salute you all.
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Great tips, thank you.

I looked at your stats, oh my god man, utter respect for your skills, and after only 1000 games in total, wtf.

Ive recently started a second account in order to use to platoon with my son and also to see how hard it is to have a non premium account. Hes bigfella_uk_ and my second account is bigfellas_dad, my stats are hugely better than my main account (no where near yours though), but the one thing i have noticed is, i do better in that account as im always fresh....and sober, and i dont spend more than an hour at a time on it. So definitely agree with your short session tip.

ooi, hunting? tell me more.... i hunt but mainly vermin control for farmers, rim fire and air rifle mainly.
AndyScouser
AndyScouser

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 pm

AndyScouser wrote:Great tips, thank you.

I looked at your stats, oh my god man, utter respect for your skills, and after only 1000 games in total, wtf.

Ive recently started a second account in order to use to platoon with my son and also to see how hard it is to have a non premium account.  Hes bigfella_uk_ and my second account is bigfellas_dad, my stats are hugely better than my main account (no where near yours though), but the one thing i have noticed is, i do better in that account as im always fresh....and sober, and i dont spend more than an hour at a time on it.  So definitely agree with your short session tip.

ooi, hunting?  tell me more.... i hunt but mainly vermin control for farmers, rim fire and air rifle mainly.

hunting. I stalk rabbits with a break barrel.177 air rifle I Also hunt the same quarry with a slingshot and custom made lead ammo. I fish for Bass allot too. Ive owned and fired other firearms years ago. I only kill what I eat.. unless it shoots back Wink

Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Arnold_Judas_Rimmer wrote:
AndyScouser wrote:hunting. I stalk rabbits with a break barrel.177 air rifle I Also hunt the same quarry with a slingshot and custom made lead ammo. I fish for Bass allot too. Ive owned and fired other firearms years ago. I only kill what I eat.. unless it shoots back Wink

nice, air rifle hunting is very challenging as I wont take a shot on live prey at greater than 35yds. I use my 1970's target setup underlever HW35 in .177 when in close quarters to farm buildings and my 17HMR rim fire any where else upto 150m, or for bigger prey and out to 500m ill use my .223 centre fire.  Slingshot hunting sounds very difficult, good luck with that Surprised 
I used to shoot competitively at a UK national level, normally in the top 3 ranking UK wise in the hunter field target class (air rifle).  Fishing, not since i was a lad, i must take my sons fishing when i have them on the summer holidays, i used to enjoy that.
AndyScouser
AndyScouser

Back to top Go down

Post  Arnold_Judas_Rimmer Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Competitive shooting . Hats off to you for having the eye for that. Not easy putting rounds in tight groups. I remember my first rifle and target range was a converted enfield (No.8 Rifle.22) in the ACF and ATC. I did some work later with bigger bullets using the SA80 in the TA but ive never competed. Dont think I had the eye for it.

Catapult shooting is hard 20 yards or less. I sometimes spend 2 hours before I get a shot. Ill be trying a throwing stick next ha ha ha.

I used to own a 12 gauge shotgun and a .308 as I worked in wildlife management for a few years. Deer, ducks, pheasant, crows, pigeons that sort of thing. I am trying to persuade my other half to let me buy another rifle or a shotty but the cost of converting my house for the legal requirements of a gun locker is not looking promising. I need a wall built and a window resizing.. maybe in a couple of years.

Good hunting sir.
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer
Arnold_Judas_Rimmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum