SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

What I'm up to and why

2 posters

Go down

What I'm up to and why Empty What I'm up to and why

Post  BadGene616 Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:26 am

So when I started tanks, with my brave 50% crew in my loltractor, I didn't really have much of a clue what was going on.

I had heard of the Tiger, and the Panther, the StuG, and of course the M4 Shermans, mostly from war films or from playing Company of Heroes. I'd even got some ideas about Panzer 38s and IIIs from Panzer General. But as a kid, I was always way more into planes than tanks.

As most people do, I assumed that bigger tanks were better tanks and started the race towards the Tiger.

And I'm glad that I did that. I have a stable of tanks which I enjoy playing, and I can run in TCs or platoons. But I always had this little doubt in the back of my mind - what had I missed? What was I doing wrong?

Recently, I decided I wanted a break from the heavy tanks I had previously enjoyed playing. So I dug out the JgPanther and ground that to elite.

TDs were much more fun than I remembered. And those russian troll guns looked so much more attractive post the 8.6 accuracy changes. So I free experience unlocked the SU85B and bought one. And absolutely fell in love. Here was a tank that could boss the battlefield. With the experience and practice of using cover and ambush, I was getting brilliant results. I think I aced it on my second or third game.

Lower tiers were actually fun and rewarding and not just a chore to get through to the next tank!

Maybe it was time to revisit all those tanks I'd raced through and hated the grind on the first time around? But I didn't just want to go seal clubbing - I was going to set myself the challenge of getting the Ace mastery in each of those tanks.

So this is what I've been doing, and will continue to do. I figure if I can get that level, yes it might just be a lucky game, but I can say I've really got the most out of a particular tank. I've had to learn to play it, and play it to a reasonable standard. And it's been frustrating as hell, but also incredibly rewarding.

It's something I recommend. I'm still doing it, and I'm sure I'll meet other tanks which I just don't get on with at all. But I'm going to keep going for as long as I can stand it. I'm learning a lot, I'm learning the strengths and weaknesses of very different tanks. I'm getting punished for stupid mistakes - and learning how to avoid them.

And I'm feeling like I'm actually playing this game right for a change. It also makes you realise what the difference is between a 1,200 game and an 1,800 game - which can come down to one or two missed shots or a kill that is stolen from you.

If this is something you've done, or are considering doing, I'd be interested to hear from you. I've currently got seven tanks sitting in the garage I've bought or rebought which I want to master. And then there are a many more which will eventually get done.

For me, the feeling when I Ace a tank that I've been struggling with is just amazing.

If anyone is interested I'll post a list.

BadGene616

Back to top Go down

What I'm up to and why Empty Re: What I'm up to and why

Post  CountOfTuscany Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:42 pm

BadGene616 wrote:
Maybe it was time to revisit all those tanks I'd raced through and hated the grind on the first time around?  But I didn't just want to go seal clubbing - I was going to set myself the challenge of getting the Ace mastery in each of those tanks.

So this is what I've been doing, and will continue to do.  I figure if I can get that level, yes it might just be a lucky game, but I can say I've really got the most out of a particular tank.  I've had to learn to play it, and play it to a reasonable standard.  And it's been frustrating as hell, but also incredibly rewarding.

It's something I recommend. I'm still doing it, and I'm sure I'll meet other tanks which I just don't get on with at all.  But I'm going to keep going for as long as I can stand it.  I'm learning a lot, I'm learning the strengths and weaknesses of very different tanks.  I'm getting punished for stupid mistakes - and learning how to avoid them.

For me, the feeling when I Ace a tank that I've been struggling with is just amazing.

If anyone is interested I'll post a list.
This also applies to me. There are a lot of tanks I want te revisit and master (A-20, T-28...) when I've finished my current goals (advancing on the US Med line...).

I'm the not so proud owner of  one Ace-badge (played 53 tanks so far. Conclusion: still a noob). Got the Ace-badge on the PzII. Lately I have been thinking I should only sell a vehicle when I've aced it... So that's a lot Ace-badges I need to get... My games are getting batter since I joined the SGTA, but there's still a lot to improve.

vehicles currently in garage:

lights:
PzII(Aced), Tetrarch, LTP

meds:
PzIII, T-25, Sherman E8, Sherman Jumbo

heavies:
KV-1s, KV-2, KV-5

TDs:
StugIII, Jagdpanther, T49, Su-122-44, 8,8cm Pak43 Jagdtiger

SPG:
Grille
CountOfTuscany