SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Hit Zones mod v5 8.8 for learning weak spots?

+8
CountOfTuscany
Tecuani
Wasp
Vallu01
RoninRage
nilzatron
Ding760
shinyhelmet
12 posters

Go down

Hit Zones mod v5 8.8 for learning weak spots? Empty Hit Zones mod v5 8.8 for learning weak spots?

Post  shinyhelmet Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi

I was wondering if this mod was considered useful by Academy personnel for learning weak spots?

I have just downloaded and installed it from WoTmodsdll but I cant see any of the skins on the tier 5 tanks I am pit into battle against.

I unzipped it to WoT/res_mods/0.8.8 as instructed, but it created further tree inside that of /Tank hit zones 8.7 -8.8/vehicles/[country]/[tank]

I have also just installed xvm in my res_mods folder, which appears to be working fine(any one got a good config file?).

If anyone else has this working might they have any idea why it wouldn't be working on mine?

Thanks

shinyhelmet

Back to top Go down

Hit Zones mod v5 8.8 for learning weak spots? Empty Re: Hit Zones mod v5 8.8 for learning weak spots?

Post  Ding760 Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Truth be told the academy does not support using hit skin mods, as while it's easy to say it's for learning purposes, what tends to happen is the student relies on these mods and so do not perform as well when the mod is taken away.

Still, we won't judge you on that, I personally cannot help you on this question as i don't use mods, but maybe one of the other guys can Smile
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Hit Zones mod v5 8.8 for learning weak spots? Empty Re: Hit Zones mod v5 8.8 for learning weak spots?

Post  nilzatron Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 pm

I personally think these are of limited use, because in many cases penetration angles are far more important than blindly firing at a weakspot because it is highlighted on the target.

It's better to stick to general rules of thumb for most tanks and look up particular tanks you are having trouble with to memorize them as the exceptions. There are websites you can use for this, there is a very good app for Android devices called "World of Tanks Knowledge Base" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.enigmapro.wot.knowlege) or you could even ask someone in SGTA that has the tank to pop into a training room with you, so you can have some hands on practice.

Aside from all this, it makes your game look like ass (like white dead tanks, urgh)
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  RoninRage Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 am

I don't use clown mods too.

If I encounter a tank I don't know how to kill i also try the app mentioned by Nilz (if you got an android device or now a bit about computers and can handle stuff like http://www.bluestacks.com/) or I have a look on http://gamemodels3d.com/en/worldoftanks/

Greets
Ronin
RoninRage
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:14 am

I've never like hitzone mods. They make the tanks look ugly, they are of limited use at distance or when there is bushes/trees on the way, weakspots change with distance, the angle of the enemy, your penetration, tank height, terrain... I could go on forever.

As Nilz IMO the best way to learn weakspots is to learn the usual ones (lower front plate and cupola for example). And then go per tank line and after that that per tank. Either google the tanks or ask instructors. Some tanks like those with pike nose you really have to test yourself how they behave as they are quite different to anything else.

About installing the mod. It would help to have a link to the mod to see what files it has.
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  Wasp Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 am

What nilz said.

But even more important, there is a class about weakspots tomorrow evening.
https://sgta.forumotion.com/t1031-intermediate-courses-weakspots-4102013-1900-utc

It will get you more than the skins because you will recognize cupolas and gun/viewports on many different tanks without having to look it up all the time.

Last edited by Wasp on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Wasp
Wasp
DEP. COMMANDER
DEP. COMMANDER

Back to top Go down

Post  shinyhelmet Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:20 am

I'm struggling a bit attempting to flank and harass those t5 heavies in my T70, basically just using distracting techniques in the hope our heavies can get the upper hand. However not being too familiar with those tanks yet having trouble putting pressure on them, they just laugh at my ineffectual puniness.

Thought in the short term this might at least let me bloody their nose occasionally.

Since their use is frowned upon I guess I aint gonna get anyone telling me if they are useful or not.

Oh well back to WoTgurus guides, maybe if I just concentrate on trying to learn one or two tanks at a time I might remember where to hit them where it hurts.

Edit

Thanks for the tips and links guys, There look some good ones in there.

And what about xvm is that a no no also?

shinyhelmet

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:28 am

XVM has it's haters and lovers (referring to the stats part). I personally find it useful, but not necessary. Useful because you have some idea who to trust and who to look out for. But when I didn't have it working for month or so I didn't see any drop in winrate/stats. So useful if you know how to use it, but by no means necessary. Oh, and you need to be able to tolerate sea of red in your team when you use XVM.
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  RoninRage Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:28 am

Well for some people it is. But it is just too useful and to much of an advantage for not using it ;-)
RoninRage
RoninRage
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Tecuani Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:39 am

No weakspot mod for me...it is very annoying not to pen or know the weakspots....but very satisfying when you learn to hit them, agreed with Nilz

Currently not using any mods at all because I get frustrated with the occasional loosing streak but more over I get tired of people whining when the countdown still runs "OMG red tomato team vs green apple....."
FYI that is a cooking show on BBC.....  Wink
Tecuani
Tecuani

Back to top Go down

Post  shinyhelmet Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:44 am

@ Wasp Thanks for the heads up on the lesson. Unfortunately I am not an official member of the Academy yet and only using a T70 on tier3 so dunno if I'd be allowed to attend?

@ Vallu This was the mod http://wotmodsdl.com/mods/tank-hit-zones-mod-v-5-wot-8-8.html

I'll try xvm and see if I can make use of it. got a good config file for it? I am just clicking the options randomly probably not doing myself any favours in setting it up.

shinyhelmet

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:54 am

Vallu01 wrote:XVM has it's haters and lovers (referring to the stats part). I personally find it useful, but not necessary. Useful because you have some idea who to trust and who to look out for. But when I didn't have it working for month or so I didn't see any drop in winrate/stats. So useful if you know how to use it, but by no means necessary. Oh, and you need to be able to tolerate sea of red in your team when you use XVM.
I used to rage at the sea of red. But at some point I realized it was only impairing myself by doing it. So I reversed it. Now, seeing the sea of red for what it is, it helps me know I should not expect anything useful to come out of them, accept that simple fact and move on to do what I can to have a positive impact on the match. Depending on your own skill level compared to the enemy team, this can range from "at least doing your own hp in damage" to "holding my flank no matter what" to "I am going to win this even if I have to kill all 15". Set a realistic goal of acceptable performance for yourself at the start of a match and if you surpass it you have done well for yourself.

(Maybe I should write a guide about "maintaining a positive mindset / curbing frustration"? It is something I have been working on for a while now and it has helped me immensely, both in performance and enjoying the game).
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:00 am

shinyhelmet wrote:
XVM is something I truly loath as I do not see the point in having a tool that tells you how good your team and enemy team is before starting.

Again the academy does not encourage people to use XVM. But again we do not judge in relation to this so if you have it it's no problem.

If you are truly in need of a guidance tool, I suggest dragging an instructor with you to platoon.
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:01 am

Everyone is allowed to join, it's mostly theory and demonstration.

For xvm I just use the default config myself.

To install the hitzone mod you need to get the 'vehicles' folder inside the 'Tank hit zones 8.7 - 8.8' folder and copy it to \World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.8.8
Should be working after that. Here's a vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceP3NDCcIn8 It's for 8.6, but works for later versions too.
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 am

As to the T70 engaging T5 Heavies...That is next to impossible, weakspots or not. Your best bet is to try to track them when they are in a vulnerable position so others can shoot them (you will get experience for it if they do). If you cannot do it safely, RUN AWAY. They have armour and firepower and the best advantage you have is your speed, so get away from them and stay alive.

Tier 3 is pretty harsh in this respect, because it is the first tier you will start seeing +2 tiers on a regular basis and there are many strong tanks in tier 5. At the same time, a lot of the tier 3 tanks do not have the firepower to deal with heavy armour (often because they come from an era where tanks were designed to fight infantry, not other tanks).

Stick with it, try to engage other light tanks or same tier mediums and when faced with a heavily armoured opponent go for the tracking shot and RUN / "relocate".
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  shinyhelmet Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:03 am

Ding760 wrote:
shinyhelmet wrote:
XVM is something I truly loath as I do not see the point in having a tool that tells you how good your team and enemy team is before starting.

Again the academy does not encourage people to use XVM. But again we do not judge in relation to this so if you have it it's no problem.

If you are truly in need of a guidance tool, I suggest dragging an instructor with you to platoon.
Okay, I just thought it might let me help my own team better if I could spot a weak flank early (not that I could make that much difference), but it is always an advantage if you can help keep some of your team alive till the latter stages of a battle.

@Vallu I've got the files in that location, but its not showing anything in battle. Never mind you have all put me off using it now anyway Smile 

@nilzatron Yeah you are right I need to keep away from those heavies, track em and run, I'll concentrate on that rather than trying to flank and circle/side hug them in the hope they freak out and become distracted from my closing in team mates because that tactic aint working LoL

shinyhelmet

Back to top Go down

Post  CountOfTuscany Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:07 am

Ding760 wrote:

I suppose you mean XVM stat? I have the regular XVM installed, I love to keep track of the damage I dealt Very Happy
I haven't tried XVM stat yet, don't know if I would like it...
CountOfTuscany
CountOfTuscany

Back to top Go down

Post  shinyhelmet Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:29 am

CountOfTuscany wrote:
Ding760 wrote:

I suppose you mean XVM stat? I have the regular XVM installed, I love to keep track of the damage I dealt Very Happy
I haven't tried XVM stat yet, don't know if I would like it...
I didn't know there were different versions. The version I downloaded says xvm.5.0.0-test3

I thought the orange coloured % marker on the 'Alt' button (in config editor) related to their win rate but I dont even remember seeing it in game yet...Only had about 3 or 4 battles with it installed so I'm still clueless to its configuration

shinyhelmet

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:28 am

I used that mod for a week.  As said its not that useful at range and lets face it, turns the game into a circus..

The one thing that I did do though is use those 45s before game start to good effect.  I just looked at every tank in my team and learned the weak spots.
You can also use them to effect on your own tanks as the skins work in the garage too, learn your own tanks weakness's and you can protect them better.

Overall though, use them for a week and then dump it.
AndyScouser
AndyScouser

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 am

TD, gold ammo - shoot

No need for clown skins.
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vampir_Kifla Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:16 am

we_just_dinged_em wrote:TD, gold ammo - shoot

No need for clown skins.
I think you might've heard the bug that comes with that. Oh yeah, your commander often shouts "We just dinged 'em"... tongue 
Vampir_Kifla
Vampir_Kifla
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:22 am

Vampir_Kifla wrote:
we_just_dinged_em wrote:TD, gold ammo - shoot

No need for clown skins.
I think you might've heard the bug that comes with that. Oh yeah, your commander often shouts "We just dinged 'em"... tongue 
but penetration happens more often than not Smile
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Etairos Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:10 am

I used hit skins and they are usefull to memorize ammo racks and crew positions only
Etairos
Etairos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down