SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

The Land Battleship (aka the TOG II*)

+8
jtaak (matt)
we_just_dinged_em
nilzatron
EUROBrit
Yamaxanadu
Ding760
Rancidpunk
PointyHairedJedi
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Land Battleship (aka the TOG II*) Empty The Land Battleship (aka the TOG II*)

Post  PointyHairedJedi Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:25 am

This isn't so much a guide as a plea for one - as the steel behemoth was on sale this weekend, and I had enough gold in my account, I went ahead and bought one.  Only had a couple of battles so far, but already I can tell that the decision-making process I go through with my other tanks (even slow ones) doesn't really work with this, in part because the other ones, if generally slow, are so because they're armoured.

So far my best theory, based on the hatches in each side, is that it's a rolling NAAFI canteen, where the troops can line up alongside to queue for a lukewarm cup of tea and a sausage sarnie.  The fact it has a turret and gun is simply to discourage said Tommies from demanding a refund.

EDIT: To add "The List", of those of us who are crazy enough to own this special, special tank.
Me (PointyHairedJedi): HMS Stand Still While I Aim This Thing
Monty (aka Dong760)
BoosB
jtaak
andy_scouser
RoninRage
nilzatron

Last edited by PointyHairedJedi on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
PointyHairedJedi
PointyHairedJedi
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

https://www.youtube.com/user/PointyHairedJedi

Back to top Go down

The Land Battleship (aka the TOG II*) Empty Re: The Land Battleship (aka the TOG II*)

Post  Rancidpunk Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:37 am

Use the lack of speed to your advantage, you can't be first line and even second line is usually faster Smile

Stay safe until you know where you are needed and don't stop when you are in sight as it will bounce some times if you are moving and angled.

The way you play it depends a lot on matchmaking, mega hp so just bulldoze through in same tier stuff and snipe against higher tier MM Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

The Land Battleship (aka the TOG II*) Empty Re: The Land Battleship (aka the TOG II*)

Post  Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:44 am

Reverse sidescrape.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rancidpunk Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:57 am

Kawashiro wrote:Reverse sidescrape.

Always makes Himmelsdorf a pleasure Smile
Rancidpunk
Rancidpunk
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:48 am

If I may make a suggestion...

It seems to me the TOG II* is a competent sniper. It's no secret it's not a brawler. However, I base my analysis of it being a sniper on the following points:

1) The tank not only has a huge horizontal size, it's vertical size is considerably large too, this means you can take advantage of terrain which are unsloped but has elevation differences. Like this _____/------ or something like that lol.

2) It's massive health pool gives it an advantage in sniping, as there is absolutely no thing more annoying than an enemy sniper with a huge health pool. As it just won't die. To further make yourself harder to kill, considering moving up and down while reloading during sniping.

3) The size of the TOG II* makes it a prime target for arty...probably using camo values effectively behind a bush prevents this inevitability from happening...or at least as fast.

What do you think?
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 pm

1: German tanks can utilize such terrains too, TOG is no unique speciment there. However, high tier Germans have considerable turret armor, something the TOG does not have.

2: The reload it too short and the speed of TOG is too low to go up and down, it should however be able to use its 10 degree gun depression to stay hull down for the sole reason to decrease its silhuette against the horizon. The HP is evident, prem shells have nothing on this thing as its main defence is meat anyway.

3: If you think a tank longer than Maus have any realistic use of small bushes as camo against any more than 1 enemy, especially considering its a high ROF tank, then it's kind of silly. The tank would even need considerable time to just move back and forth just to spot through the bush and reverse back again into safe distance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Yamaxanadu Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 pm

KV-2 and SU-152 are the most dangerous enemies of TOG II.
Yamaxanadu
Yamaxanadu

Back to top Go down

Post  PointyHairedJedi Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:29 am

I've already fallen afoul of KV-2s once or twice. KV-1S shots will go through every time as well... and now this new SU-100Y is nearly here, it's yet one more Soviet high-alpha enemy to avoid (especially with its' absurd accuracy; 3 high damage rolls and you'd be toast).

I have managed one or two good matches it in, but that's been solely down to good team-mates. I haven't done that well even in those. Also, considering the low top speed, the accuracy (on the move as well as stationary) is a little disappointing to me, despite what the stats imply it should be. I might have to start playing it a lot more defensively, like I do the equally slow FCM36 PaK40, though that for its' tier has a much, much better gun.
PointyHairedJedi
PointyHairedJedi
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Simply put, TOG is a tier 5 tank with maus speed and a tier 7 heavy hp pool Razz
All slow tanks are team reliant, that's how it is, you might want to find some platoon mates to know your needs.

Back to top Go down

Post  EUROBrit Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:41 am

I think we should consider Sausage & Egg sandwiches (with mushrooms on a Thursday) and remove the need for the turret Smile
EUROBrit
EUROBrit
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Guest wrote:Simply put, TOG is a tier 5 tank with maus speed and a tier 7 heavy hp pool Razz
All slow tanks are team reliant, that's how it is, you might want to find some platoon mates to know your needs.

And noone is more qualified to be sensitive to it's needs than another Land Battleship Cap'n! o7

I kind of bought one on a whim right now and I feel the best way to play troll around in this, is in a land flotilla. Hit me up for a TOGtoon if you have one too Laughing 
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  we_just_dinged_em Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:27 pm

TOGs are pure win. There are now several members in the SGTA family who own one.

I call mine the 'armoured dildo'
we_just_dinged_em
we_just_dinged_em

http://www.noobmeter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nilzatron Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:06 pm

I have AGILITY painted on the side of mine Laughing 
nilzatron
nilzatron
Guide
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  jtaak (matt) Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:59 am

I don't own a TOG myself, but I thought that Jingles' two videos gave quite a good general guide for them :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzC_Ryr3Zvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hASWJQ-PP0M

Short version :
1) Never stop moving;
2) Fire early, fire often;
3) Multi TOG platoon whenever possible.

jtaak (matt)

Back to top Go down

Post  PointyHairedJedi Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm actually in that first video. Very Happy

Platooning, as has been said, is definitely the way to go in this tank. I suspect it'll be exactly the same in the E-25, though whether you'll actually want to platoon with another E-25 in that case I don't know.
PointyHairedJedi
PointyHairedJedi
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

The Land Battleship (aka the TOG II*) Empty the-land-battleship-aka-the-tog-ii

Post  Xenasys Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Its in the WOT Shop for a 14 Euro about a Tenner Think everyone should get one lol !!

Xenasys

Back to top Go down

Post  Boos B Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Already have 1 of course....
Boos B
Boos B
INSTRUCTOR
INSTRUCTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 pm

oh no..the TOG on offer....... Sad

Ive bought this god forsaken piece of crap TWICE, and sold them TWICE.... im awful in it, or rather a solo TOG in a random is pure free DMG, I head straight for them myself when ever the red team has one! but after watching the first video of a 3 man TOG platoon, im tempted, sorely tempted AGAIN.

IF i buy one, can we make up 3 TOG platoons within SGTA?
AndyScouser
AndyScouser

Back to top Go down

Post  jtaak (matt) Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 am

It could be great fun. We may have to introduce a 'no sober driving' rule as well ?

jtaak (matt)

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:24 am

jtaak wrote:It could be great fun. We may have to introduce a 'no sober driving' rule as well ?
some of my best tanking is when under the influence of a nice bottle or two of red wine.
AndyScouser
AndyScouser

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenasys Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:47 am

Oh Dear Red Wine what are you thinking of

We need a Gin and Tonic but if not available a Pimms would suffice

Xenasys

Back to top Go down

Post  Ding760 Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:20 am

Anyone driving a USSR tank without vodka is doing it wrong.
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenasys Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Obviously but has to be the real stuff not that Smirnoff Shite !!!

Xenasys

Back to top Go down

Post  jtaak (matt) Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:03 pm

You voluntarily drink Pimms ? Any drink that is actually _improved_ by putting cucumber in it should be regarded with deep, deep suspicion IMHO Smile

jtaak (matt)

Back to top Go down

Post  jtaak (matt) Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:14 am

OK, I succumbed...one giant arty target now ensonced in my garage

jtaak (matt)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum