SGTA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chatbox
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» The AFK thread
by Tecuani Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 am

» Basic - Camouflage and spotting - 26th of November - 19:30UTC
by ZerONRNS Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

» SGTA is moving!
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

» Trying to understand the T-34...
by Vallu01 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

» Hello from Prometheus
by Pendergast Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

» Repeat of peek-a-boo lesson?
by JosefSvejk Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

» M46 Patton, wat to do .vs TD division
by Rajahz Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

» T-44 Patrol Duty
by Wen90 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

» Peek a boo lesson
by Madhias Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 am

Speedies Introduction

+3
Lemmingtrain
Ding760
speedie69
7 posters

Go down

Speedies Introduction Empty Speedies Introduction

Post  speedie69 Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Folks, I just got my invite and i'd like to say a BIG thank you for having me Smile

Im a 44 yr old uk player who hates light tanks but love meds and heavies both german and soviet. Got my Tiger last week and i gotta say, it seems a pile of sh*t but maybe its just me thats ****. Im really disappointed as i always thought Tigers were one mean chunk of steel. Anyway im also going down the soviet line and should have kv4 this week and im also going the other way in the branch in the soviet heavy tree and will also have the IS this week, although the lack in armor is giving me doubts.

I am really looking forward to getting to know you guys and i recon youve got your work cut out training me up. My win rate is 44% with about 30% survival. I recon the older you get,the worse you get at games.

Anyway im sure your all getting bored of me ranting on, so ill see you all ingame.

Thanks again Speedie

speedie69

Back to top Go down

Speedies Introduction Empty Re: Speedies Introduction

Post  Ding760 Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 am

Hey! Smile Welcome to SGTA! Smile

Lol age doesn't matter for games Razz I've seen some mean old-timer gamers who will put the scare in this game anytime of the day.

As concerning your recent purchases Razz The Tiger is well known to be complained about, surely...most people know it's weakspots now and in reality the WoT version of the Tiger doesn't reflect the real-life version of the Tiger at all. The Tiger is primarily a sniper tank... which is strange considering it's a heavy, but alas true. It's accurate gun with decent penetration will pack a punch at range but will not save you when you are outflanked and out-armoured in close range combat.

As a word of warning....the KV-4 is also a much complained about tank. I don't want to depress you or anything lol, but people complain about how it's hard for them to shoot it down but when they themselves are driving it it seems useless. I recommend you read the KV-4 guide in the archives on this forum to get to know it a bit. Anyways... I also have the KV-4 and personally I deem it a reliable tank at the borderline between medium-range and long-range tank. It's accuracy is not suitable for sniping but enough to do at medium range....i rather hate to get in close with it because either of gold ammo or something it's armor does not stack up to it's paper values. I personally find the KV-4 rather enjoyable to play but frustrating if your teammates fail you. If you are going the IS line then the IS-3 will be a nice piece of tank for you Wink

I guess I'm talking too much now... anyways...hope to see you around and as always, if you want a platoon you know my nick in-game! Smile
Ding760
Ding760

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemmingtrain Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 am

Hi Speedie - welcome to SGTA Very Happy

Trust me, you're not the oldest here by a fair amount Embarassed
Lemmingtrain
Lemmingtrain

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelToedSneakers Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 am

Hey there Speedie, and welcome to SGTA!

I'm 38 next month, but in my mind I'm still in my early 20's Wink Age is but a number, right?

I too love heavies, got the KV-1, KV-1S, T1, M6, and T29 fully upgraded, and a stock IS. If you see me online, do not hesitate to ask for a toon, but be adviced - I am noticing that I'm starting to command the platoons I'm in more and more these days when it is me who has invited people to it. Laughing My two goals are getting my stats even higher (I started with 48% when I joined SGTA), and learning how to be a Field Commander (FC) in a Tank Company (TC). Thus the commanding in the platoons, as I figured I could start with a small group, and work my way up.

When it comes to lack of armour on the IS (and all the other heavies), it's all down to how you position yourself when you stop somewhere. I'm sure there'll be a class on angling and such again shortly, and I would recomend you to attend. When you learn how to angle your tank, you'll see your winrate, and other stats, go up as you will survive longer in a brawl. Smile
SteelToedSneakers
SteelToedSneakers

http://www.kittelsaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapaki Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:32 am

Give me (worst option) or Vallu (best option) a shout next time you see either of us online in order to show you a couple of things about the tiger in a training room 1 on 1. Kawashiro did that for me in my early days in SGTA and it really changed the way I played with the Tiger as well as with many heavy tanks in the game. I am grateful to her about that.
Sapaki
Sapaki
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself
His Royal Majesty the Admissions Officer of the Clan Himself

Back to top Go down

Post  Vallu01 Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Tiger!!! My favourite tank Smile . Angling, sidescraping and sniping are the keywords. Armour is worth nothing if you don't angle it correctly and that becomes easier when there's cover where you can hide at leas one part of your tank. And the gun, the gun! It's the best tier 7 heavy gun IMO. But you will realise that only after playing the others really, you will start to miss the great accuracy, aim time and penetration. Great thing about the Tiger is that it works as well top tier as it does as lowest tier, as it relies more on the gun than the armour.

And don't be fooled by the IS line's low armour stats. It's not what's on the paper, it's the effective armour value. Unlike German and KV line the IS line has sloped/pike nose armour which increases the effectiveness of the armour. They are really newbie friendly as they don't require angling , the armour layout does that for you!

Oh and welcome!
Vallu01
Vallu01
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  speedie69 Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 am

Thanks for the pointers guys, i guess ill have another crack at the Tiger. Over the last few weeks i have actually got better through reading the tutorials and archives here. I now understand the principles of side scraping and angling although im still trying to get it right on the battlefield.

speedie69

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyScouser Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Speedie,

Im 45 so you are all but a pup... So, welcome young man!

I hear what you say about the tiger, one of the reasons I started playing the game was to drive this iconic vehicle. In T7/8 games i was ok in it but i got absolutely mullered in it by t9 tanks. Even now when i see a tiger in a battle I just look at it as free DMG. Disappointing to say the least, unless of course you are a unicum like our Vallu of course. I have sinced sold both my Tiger and King Tiger II and given up on the german line (apart from my beloved vk3601)

As already said, the classes are excellent and even the classes where i 'thought' i knew what to do already, the extra knowledge passed on has been very valuable. Of course putting it all into practice is where it starts and often difficult but you will see the benefits and your win rate should improve.

Ive not the chance to platoon with SGTA as much as i should as im trying to get my nephew up to speed at present and he's on the waiting list too. Hopefully ill catch you online soon though as its time my nephew stands on his own two feet i think.

HF & GL

AndyScouser
AndyScouser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down